Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs won't dig upwards regardless of stairs on their current level  (Read 2152 times)

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all,

As far as I understand the way digging and floors work, dwarfs should be able to dig into the layer above them provided they can access this layer through up stairs/up-down stairs/upward ramps on the layer they are currently on.

However, in a recent fort I had to seal of access to the outdoors due to a 100+ influx of zombie fun. My plan was to dig upwards from the fort and create a staging zone to receive my guests in, but somehow the dwarfs didn't manage to dig up. I tried with dug out stairs, constructed stairs, ramps, anything I could think of, but they couldn't seem to access the layer above their heads. Does anyone have any idea suggestions or thoughts on what might be going wrong?

Thanks!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs won't dig upwards regardless of stairs on their current level
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:03:44 am »

Burrows? A civilian alert burrow that doesn't include the layer above blocks digging into it. I try to drop the civilian alert once all exits are closed, but the burrow still has to be updated to include the new indoor areas eventually anyway.
You can't dig upwards from ramps: you need a stair (you can dig a stair sideways and then stairs above, and you can build stairs and dig upwards. This assumes you create the stairs with upwards components, of course (Up/Down or Up stairs).

DoctorDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:22:03 am »

Aahh, that must have been it! Thanks for the answer, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 08:07:18 am »

I have a very similar issue in my steam version.
Dwarves have an upward staircase, the next z lvl has a downward staircase designation, but nothing happens...
What am I doing wrong?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 02:41:01 pm »

It's a bug, I reported it but it still seems to be in "triage". They can only dig stairs in the level above if the dig designation was active while they were digging the current level.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 04:51:13 am »

I see, will have to work around it.