Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to see what / if a lever is hooked up to?  (Read 6910 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to see what / if a lever is hooked up to?
« on: October 04, 2013, 02:40:03 am »

I have some levers and I've been shuffling things around and don't recall whether I hooked them up or not.  Is there any way to tell if a lever is hooked to anything except by pulling it?  Any list somewhere? Any addon if not in the game?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to see what / if a lever is hooked up to?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:31 am »

The 'if' is easier than the 'what'. If you press 't' then hover the cursor over a lever, it should list all of the mechanisms that it contains. The first of these will be the one used to build the lever itself, with any additional mechanisms indicating that the lever was connected to something(s) at some point. What that thing is (and whether it even still exists) is the tricky bit.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:43:54 am »

You can check whether a level is attached to a specific building by trying to attach it again as the menu doesn't show items it is already attached to. Other than that, I don't think there is a way to figure out the wiring diagram - it's a bit like buying an old house and trying to figure out how the wires in the walls are connected...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:49:43 am »

If you have only few linkages established, you can check the i't'ems of levers _and_ of possibly linked buildings - if there's a mechanism included in a building which doesn't normally contain one (or extra mechanisms in case of levers etc.), this means the building is linked somewhere. Very early in a fort's life, when only few buildings exist/are linked, that can already give some good hints.

A lever cannot be linked again to an item it's already linked to. If you have only three bridges and _know_ each of three levers is linked to one of the bridges, you can 'q'uery the lever, order a new job - link to a bridge - and look through the linkage options on each lever. The already-linked bridge will not be offered.

There's only a very limited number of cases where this approach really works - the number of possible linkages must be quite limited for you to spot the correct 'missing' item.

A saner approach is thinking ahead: label your levers via the 'N'otes system as soon as you linked them. Hit 'N' to enter the notes menu, hover the cursor over the lever, 'p' to mark the place and 't' to enter some descriptive text. This obviously is only a 'better think of that next time' tip.

If you have DFHack installed, you can use the 'gui/mechanisms' application, which shows you where a lever is linked.

And if you have levers with inscrutable links and don't feel like digging through the link list, you can simply build a new lever and link it up properly (and put up some notes this time). For added safety, yank out the botched old levers as well. Linking up or removing linked levers doesn't activate buildings, 're-wiring' parts of your machinery is always a safe alternative to randomly pulling levers and hoping they don't do something irreversibly FUN.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 07:25:40 am »

Has there been any workaround for levers?
I sometimes use burrows to mark important levers that might bring too much fun if pulled at a wrong time.
Maybe u can set up some sign or something?

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 08:05:23 am »

Has there been any workaround for levers?
I sometimes use burrows to mark important levers that might bring too much fun if pulled at a wrong time.
Maybe u can set up some sign or something?
The new version shows you to what buildings a lever is linked to.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 09:02:12 am »

I used to use (N)otes to label my levers. Now I just rename them, even easier.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 02:31:40 pm »

I suspect that feorh may be a necromancer. Don't let him near any corpse stockpiles.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 05:11:14 pm »

Heh....
Four years after last post: Yes, now you can name them!
Six years years after that update: Yes, now just click on it!