Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoiler enemy invalid target?  (Read 530 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Spoiler enemy invalid target?
« on: January 11, 2023, 09:44:15 pm »

So I accidentally broke through one of the new gem walls and found a Fire Spirit. I tried to send my military after it, but when I gave a kill order they just stood there at the stairs and their job listing said Soldier (Invalid Target). I stationed the military nearby and they seemed to kind of just stand there while being fireballed to death (though to be fair that did not take very long). This was all in rooms that were 1 z level high so it isn't like the spirit was flying above the ground. Is there something I am missing about this?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler enemy invalid target?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 04:47:20 pm »

Temperature blocks pathing.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 07:07:31 pm »

So is that type of enemy just invincible to melee then?

Erei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 11:02:16 am »

I had the same issue with creatures made of flame. So I just did a test with a local forgotten beast (blob made of fire). First, I couldn't attack it (dwarves would go "idle" instead), and if I set a waypoint nearby, they'll do the usual "dance around until they die in fire" kind of move. So, I reloaded and did the test but with temperature disabled this time. Well, it died in one hit.
So, as the poster above said, it seems temperature prevent them from attacking in melee. Disabling the temperature will allow them to fight. I didn't test with the FUN ones I have in candy boxes, but I assume it's the same thing.

So, there you go, disable temperature and have a fair fight.

Honestly, I think this is a bug. A literally invulnerable creature in a fight is a bit too strong. Archers are not the solution, not only they are buggy right now, but they were always unreliable. While they could have probably killed that blob due to being a blob, a FUN one would not die that way, unless a very lucky hit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 03:40:16 pm »

Traps can work, though that usually results in the destruction of the trap afterwards, even if magma-safe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 11:12:07 pm »

Wait, are spoiler creatures not TrapImmune? Or do you mean manual traps like spike corridors or engineered cave ins?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 12:01:47 am »

I tried to trap a forgotten beast that had some kind of fire aura in wooden cage traps under webs, and it worked. And then the cages ignited from within and released the beast.

Maybe metal cages would have been better, but who knows. Nothing works as expected now.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 06:59:05 am »

Wait, are spoiler creatures not TrapImmune? Or do you mean manual traps like spike corridors or engineered cave ins?

Yes, spike corridors.