Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How much impact does FPS optimization have?  (Read 669 times)

arka0415

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How much impact does FPS optimization have?
« on: January 17, 2023, 07:22:33 pm »

I've looked through the Wiki and threads here, and while I've found lots of guides to improving FPS, it's not clear to me how much these optimizations actually achieve.

For example, let's say there are two forts:

• Fort A is a 6x6 embark with 200 dwarves, 100 animals, 100,000 items, forest biome with a huge number of trees, and no FPS tweaks in worldgen.
  • Fort B is a 3x3 embark with 150 dwarves, 10 animals, 10,000 items, desert biome with no trees, and weather turned off.

Naturally Fort A would have lower FPS than Fort B, but do we know by how much? Would the unoptimized fort have a hugely lower FPS than the optimized fort, or would it just be a fraction lower?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How much impact does FPS optimization have?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 09:42:05 pm »

It's hard because it takes a long time to check and then Toady releases a new update with tons of optimizations, so none of the data is really relevant any more (it probably still helps, but whether there's any point now becomes debatable).

And now we have Putnam, so can only expect even more optimizations on every release.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: How much impact does FPS optimization have?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 03:24:08 am »

I expect A to run at about 20 FPS and B to run at 40-50. It's a sizeable difference, but one that's easily made up by a random bird being stuck somewhere.