Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade wagons locked behind 1st noble  (Read 750 times)

arka0415

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade wagons locked behind 1st noble
« on: January 12, 2023, 07:00:59 pm »

The interaction between the availability of trade wagons, and the fort's 1st noble, seems bugged or at least very counterintuitive.

Trade wagons only seem to come not just when the fort becomes a Barony, but when the 1st appointed noble is alive and in residence. In my current fort, my Baron was killed, and trade wagons from all factions stopped.

Adding to this, when the 1st noble is killed, it doesn't seem like they can be replaced. After the Baron died, outpost liaisons have upgraded the fort to a County, then a Duchy, but I've never been able to appoint a new Baron, Count, or Duke, and none arrive to take the position.

With these two points in mind - trade wagons stopping when the noble dies, and the noble being irreplaceable - it seems trade wagons are only ever available between the appointment of the 1st noble, and that 1st noble's death. Is this accurate?

AllomancerJak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trade wagons locked behind 1st noble
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 04:15:15 pm »

I've had similar issues. My baron died off pretty quickly. Similarly to you, I've become a county without a count-- and the wagons haven't come back. So yes, that's accurate for me as well.

I've had fun giving my mayor the extravagant rooms I planned for the duke though... goodness knows he does enough work as the highest ranking dwarf in a fortress of 200!

Gaxxian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 06:26:37 pm »

Same issue here... its a big oversight... with some luck should be "easy" (from a logic perspective, idk with programming xD) to fix... if the baron/noble dies and has a heir at another city, it comes to live to your fortress. If it doesnt have a heir, at the next outpost liaison let you pick another one :o

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 03:16:12 pm »

Had my Noble die, and my dwarf traders got stuck, but the other traders kept coming.
Did eventually get my dwarf traders off the map and they came back the following year.
Still haven't got a new Noble though

Edit: oh *wagons* yeah not seen those come past again.
Or the liason 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 04:10:14 pm by se5a »

arka0415

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 07:13:58 pm »

Same issue here... its a big oversight... with some luck should be "easy" (from a logic perspective, idk with programming xD) to fix... if the baron/noble dies and has a heir at another city, it comes to live to your fortress. If it doesnt have a heir, at the next outpost liaison let you pick another one :o

So would the only solution to this problem, at the moment, be to make sure the 1st noble you appoint has lots of kids in your fortress, and then keep those kids as safe as possible?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 07:25:48 pm »

This is starting to become some kind of Game of Thrones/Crusader Kings spin-off.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.