Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visitors come without location in v0.50  (Read 740 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Visitors come without location in v0.50
« on: January 15, 2023, 04:32:11 am »

I was under impression that visitors should come only when there are locations to visit, like a tavern. I do not have locations, and the visitors started coming. They don't even go underground, just hang around my wagon (which I retained for sentimental values).

Is it possible that such visitors are some kind of corrupting agents,  or maybe spies?

I've got two for now, one a day after another, and they are trained warriors (dwarf spearman, goblin maceman), who could make short work of my dwarves if something goes wrong.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visitors come without location in v0.50
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 05:40:06 pm »

I was under impression that visitors should come only when there are locations to visit, like a tavern. I do not have locations, and the visitors started coming. They don't even go underground, just hang around my wagon (which I retained for sentimental values).

Is it possible that such visitors are some kind of corrupting agents,  or maybe spies?

I've got two for now, one a day after another, and they are trained warriors (dwarf spearman, goblin maceman), who could make short work of my dwarves if something goes wrong.
Monster hunters appear when you breach the caverns, they don't need a location.
And, yes, many just hang out, never going down there. Possibly spies. Maybe just lazy. Do you have an open path down there?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 04:39:19 am »

Monster hunters appear when you breach the caverns, they don't need a location.
And, yes, many just hang out, never going down there. Possibly spies. Maybe just lazy. Do you have an open path down there?

I have completely forgotten about these guys, monster slayers. I don't even have personal rooms for my own dwarves, didn't expect petitioners. They count as my population after being granted residency, I somehow remember it being easier to distinguish the long term visitors from citizens in earlier versions, now they kind of mess my statistics.

Nope, I don't have path to the caverns (only locked hatches from above), was in rush to get magma and ignored the caverns. Do you know if the monster hunters ask for citizenship in v 0.50? Because if they do, then I might keep them. They have some weapon skills, and I have five legendary weaponsmiths with no job...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 05:32:48 am »

Monster hunters make a beeline for the expedition leader and petition right away. You accepted without remembering apparently. (They've always done this).

Others (bards, scholars, mercenaries) won't petition until they've hung out in your tavern for quite a while.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 06:47:16 am »

My expedition leader must have been quite busy, because it took the monster slayers some time because first one of them asked, the ones who were not yet residents were just hanging out with the dwarves near the wagon. The residents are in random positions over the fort, doing nothing, or sleeping or whatever they do (there seems to be no indication what are they doing). But finally all of them petitioned.

I'll keep them to see if they petition for full citizenship. I'll make a FB safe entry point to the caverns for slayers, but will allow them in only when there is something to slay. Crundles and gorlaks are useless trophies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 08:03:29 am »

In my previous fort, I also got monster hunters after breaching the caverns. They were stuck at the edge of the map, probably because I had already deconstructed the wagon.
They do need a meeting area somewhere to not be stuck on the map edge.

I hope it gets changed, so that monster hunters also require a place that allows visitors before they appear, because running a no visitor fort is impossible this way unless you don't breach any cavern.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 09:23:28 pm »

In my previous fort, I also got monster hunters after breaching the caverns. They were stuck at the edge of the map, probably because I had already deconstructed the wagon.

I hope it gets changed, so that monster hunters also require a place that allows visitors before they appear, because running a no visitor fort is impossible this way unless you don't breach any cavern.
Surely just set visitor cap to zero?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 05:11:19 am »

Monster Slayers normally don't petition for citizenship. BUT, there's a but.

You can go to their labor tab, location, and delete "monster slayer", then they are no longer a monster slayer and will do normal labors and can be assigned labors, they'll also eventually petition for citizenship. An ex-monster slayer (prior to citizenship) is a bit in between a normal citizen and a visitor. Like they'll do labors, but they won't attend some activities like guild halls. The fact that they are "recreation impaired" actually makes them quite responsive to jobs like in my latest fortress my ex-monster slayers are the most responsive miners.

"I'm a monster slayer!"
"No you're not."
"Understandable, well, off to the fields to plant plump helmets"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:26:59 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 08:37:29 am »

Oh ofcourse. Forgot about that. Does setting that to zero kill visitors forever, or can you turn it back up later and get visitors?
I remember reading that setting visitors to zero creates a backlog of visitors in the background that messes them up, but that's long ago.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 08:59:36 am »

Oh ofcourse. Forgot about that. Does setting that to zero kill visitors forever, or can you turn it back up later and get visitors?
I remember reading that setting visitors to zero creates a backlog of visitors in the background that messes them up, but that's long ago.
It's an in-game setting now, so same as population cap you should be able to adjust it on the go.

caveman98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 10:00:45 pm »

You can go to their labor tab, location, and delete "monster slayer", then they are no longer a monster slayer and will do normal labors and can be assigned labors, they'll also eventually petition for citizenship. An ex-monster slayer (prior to citizenship) is a bit in between a normal citizen and a visitor. Like they'll do labors, but they won't attend some activities like guild halls. The fact that they are "recreation impaired" actually makes them quite responsive to jobs like in my latest fortress my ex-monster slayers are the most responsive miners.

"I'm a monster slayer!"
"No you're not."
"Understandable, well, off to the fields to plant plump helmets"

This is a very important fact I didn't know.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 08:40:53 am »

Seems like a bug. You can even lock them into the monster-hunter job with the labor controls. Really they probably should just be generic wanderers who petition to stay, sort of like a non-civ migrant (which I guess this is what they technically are if you do this exploit) and real monster hunters should approach with the rest of the crowd.