Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Premium - invasion of the everything  (Read 984 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Premium - invasion of the everything
« on: January 09, 2023, 09:23:11 pm »

On the surface, wildlife agitation still seems fairly imbalanced.  A savage biome quickly becomes tower-defense, as critters are actually spawning in waves.  Within a day of one herd being neutralized, a new group appears.  The caverns are no better.  Troglodytes, ogres, rat folk, draltha.  Just endless waves, to the point that critter bits cover more of the tiles than cave moss.  I'm all for some healthy danger in a given biome, but this is just silly, to say nothing of the fps drain.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Premium - invasion of the everything
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 11:29:32 pm »

it does feel a bit much. I think my biggest issue with the aggression is that flying or swimming wildlife can seriously tank FPS when they appear on the map.

Also, for some embarks, aggressive or vengeful wildlife seem to spawn more frequently than non-aggressive wildlife. I'm still not sure if the two kinds of group prevent the other from interacting.. I think removing the cap on creature groups present in any given embark, or letting us adjust 'total wild creature count' or something like that, would help bring back the old feeling of a moderately dangerous forest.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 01:25:50 am »

The dwarfs butchered many trees to clear land for a fort.

Herds of giant giraffes enter the map and making a beeline straight into the fort, and the giant vultures avoid military dwarfs and prey on lone citizens.

The mayor has become paranoid and sputters about elves and how the powers they worship pervade the land.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 03:27:13 am »

Three hunters keep the wildlife at bay in my experience.
Sure they start out a bit crap, but they're soon wrestling with alligator's and sending the hyena men fleeing.

(To be fair, one of them dies every so often. Usually whenever I Ignore a fighting report. Giant capybara? They can handle it....)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:29:06 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 03:50:07 am »

I like playing games on the most challenging settings, and I chose "hard" for DF as well, customizing it even harder than it was to begin with. However, after I noticed the wildlife doesn't stand a chance against my military and they're just a nuisance, I toned it down to almost the easiest setting, just to conserve the population and stop the entire surrounding forest from suiciding to me. I think a more "balanced" setting lies somewhere where the agitation neutralizes very very fast, so that if you do large changes and actually do something that would agitate wildlife, they react to it, but don't make it their generational duty to assault your fort forever.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:54 am »

If only we could plant a few trees/breed and release some animals off map to set the balance back to normal or give the elves/nature spirit a bribe, i dont mind tower defence but its very gamey with no way to resolve it. There will probably be a irritation counter reset/cap command in DFhack to solve this when it comes around so people can just ignore the worst of it.

Underground isn't much better, given each native is usually strapped with trinkets for FPS strain.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 07:36:05 pm »

You can capture some of the wildlife in a walled-off area, and nothing else will spawn while you keep them there.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 06:04:50 am »

Kinda what happened with a wild pangolin tanking 10 elephants for 4 years in a map corner until it died of old age in my current fort.

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 06:33:02 am »

Kinda what happened with a wild pangolin tanking 10 elephants for 4 years in a map corner until it died of old age in my current fort.
Truly, the Pangolin is the most powerful of beings. And people wonder why i offer prayers to the Pangolin God daily... Because he is the only one that can truly protect you from all things, including getting a girlfriend.

But not from old age... apparently.

Ctesiphus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • live and drink or something
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 10:04:19 pm »

huh, i was wondering about how to fix the rampaging one-humped camels! i guess i need to start training some hunters... 'urist is fighting', sure, okay! let him fight! i don't really care. i am trying to dig a beautiful hole
One star-ribboned night, a ray cat crossed the marshy loam and wandered into Joppa. The watervine farmers, wakened by the joyful cries of a small girl, gathered around to revel at the favorable omen and extol the generosity of the Beetle Moon. Since then, Ctesiphus has spent his days curled under the shade of brinestalk huts and sauntering over dirt paths. So long as he's approached with care, he welcomes the hands of friends and strangers alike.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 02:24:30 am »

huh, i was wondering about how to fix the rampaging one-humped camels! i guess i need to start training some hunters... 'urist is fighting', sure, okay! let him fight! i don't really care. i am trying to dig a beautiful hole
Nice thing is with hunters is that, unlike militia marksdwarves (inexplicably) they actually know how to fight. Hanging back shooting their target, retreating when out of ammo. Pretty handy. Always funny to send out the marksdwarf squad and watch them charge in slapping the giant elephants with their wooden crossbows while hunters stand around at a safe distance shooting the thing...