Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drainage that does not let items pass through  (Read 1061 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drainage that does not let items pass through
« on: January 04, 2023, 09:03:07 pm »

I set up a drowning system for my fort. The problem is draining it without having all the items wash away. Grates, bars, and even fortifications all let items pass through.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drainage that does not let items pass through
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 12:11:33 am »

It's a bug with how fluid flow moves items. The wiki says this:
When draining the pit, items and corpses will be pushed through fortifications or wall grates by moving water. This could get them stuck into an inaccessible location on the wrong side of the filters. Instead of draining the water on the same Z-level as the drowning chamber, drain the water downward through floor grates or stairs to a lower Z-level, because items cannot be pushed downward through floor grates or stairs by moving water.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 11:23:47 am »

Is there a work around? I want all items to remain in the drowning chamber so they can be collected later after draining the chamber.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:25:43 am by Randomizer »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 12:05:18 pm »

If you have the space and patience, you could also use a U-bent.  Water pressure will push the water from the high end through the bent and up to the low end on the other side.  Items will get stuck in the bent and can be retrieved if you drain the bent (using a second floodgate).

Code: [Select]
███████
→.█████
█↓█.→.█
█~~~█.█
█████.█

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 01:24:36 pm »

You can use a pump to pull water out of an area from the z-level above, with a grate over the pump intake to keep swimmers or fliers from escaping that way.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 01:26:29 am »

Someone mentioned that a minecart on a stop set to dump towards a wall drains quite fast. However I never tried and don't know what happens to items.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime