Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who killed all these people...? While I was asleep  (Read 1035 times)

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who killed all these people...? While I was asleep
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

First of all, I haven't played the Adventure mode that much, so I'm not quite sure what kind of features it has already. Anyways, here's the story:

---somewhat irrelevant story begins---
My best character yet got a quest from a human town mayor to kill an elite kobold bowman. I departed the town and was very desperate to have recieved a suicide mission. I sneaked around in the cave, stabbing kobolds in the heart with my well made iron spear. I walked on a stairway, and suddenly got the "I am blah blah blah" message. The odds were in my favour; the kobold elite bowman was standing right next to me, and it was my turn. The first (and likely to have been my only) attack solved the battle right away. I stabbed him in the heart, and both lungs, effectively rendering him incapacitated. So now I stab him like a maniac until he's dead. I grab his good loot and head back to the town.
---somewhat irrelevant story ends---

So I arrive to the town at night, so I go into the tavern to wait to talk to the mayor, and sleep on a bed. But when I wake up.... almost all the people in the town are dead, including the mayor. Some of them were killed in their beds, some corpses are scattered outside. There's lots of clothing and pieces of armor around, too... I'm sure this wasn't one of the towns I had raided with earlier characters, and I'm also sure the corpses weren't there the first time I visited the town. Can't be 100% sure about the night because... it was dark  :p .

So I'm wondering... What on earth happened? :O

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who killed all these people...? While I was asleep
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Was there an arsonist by any chance?

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

I suggest it was Mr. Weather, in the village, with extreme cold.

Yes, it often happens if you sleep in villages located in cold biomes. That's why I never sleep in villages (actually, I don't sleep at all   :p )

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>I suggest it was Mr. Weather, in the village, with extreme cold.

Yes, it often happens if you sleep in villages located in cold biomes. That's why I never sleep in villages (actually, I don't sleep at all    :p )</STRONG>

Hey don't spoil the mystery!
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 08:26:00 am »

Or maybe your character is sleep killing?!

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

I have a related problem, and I didn't want to start another topic so here it is. I have been attempting to create a cave of doom sort of thing. However, I noticed that upon entering the area I saw several corpses of monsters I did not slay. Further I found that something was killing off the monsters I was trying to make stronger.
code:

The lizardman loses hold of the Rope reed robe.
The lizardman falls over.
The lizardman gives into pain.
The snakeman falls over.
The snakeman gives into pain.
Lerinedu, lizardman has bled to death.
The snakeman has bled to death.

I wasn't attacking anything in the cave, I was only lying down so that the monsters could kill me and get named. But something is killing off the named monsters. Any ideas?

Edit: There is also a hydra in the cave... but I thought that residents of the same area don't kill each other off. That is really my only thought, but I don't think it is the hydra

[ September 12, 2007: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »

i may just be spreading misinformation here, but i heard that you dont get XP from hitting prone things.  thus, lying down wont beef up the monsters any.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>I suggest it was Mr. Weather, in the village, with extreme cold.

Yes, it often happens if you sleep in villages located in cold biomes. That's why I never sleep in villages (actually, I don't sleep at all    :p )</STRONG>

Ah, I see that you are familiar with the ancient technique of travel-healing that all inhabitans of all dwarf fortress worlds posess? Truly, it is ninja.

"It's unpossible!"

Kohmelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ricemastah:
<STRONG>I have a related problem, and I didn't want to start another topic so here it is. I have been attempting to create a cave of doom sort of thing. However, I noticed that upon entering the area I saw several corpses of monsters I did not slay. Further I found that something was killing off the monsters I was trying to make stronger.
code:

The snakeman falls over.

I wasn't attacking anything in the cave, I was only lying down so that the monsters could kill me and get named. But something is killing off the named monsters. Any ideas?

Edit: There is also a hydra in the cave... but I thought that residents of the same area don't kill each other off. That is really my only thought, but I don't think it is the hydra

[ September 12, 2007: Message edited by: ricemastah ]</STRONG>

Well, one time i was playing a metalman was killing all the other inhabitants off...
Scared the hell out of me when i followed corpses to that metalman... I thought at first it was a mule on a rampage...  ;)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

Replying to puke it is true that hitting prone things don't increases exp. But When an unnamed monster kills a named creature, regardless of whether or not it is prone it gets a name. That is what I was trying to do.

God of Toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ricemastah:
<STRONG>I have a related problem, and I didn't want to start another topic so here it is. I have been attempting to create a cave of doom sort of thing. However, I noticed that upon entering the area I saw several corpses of monsters I did not slay. Further I found that something was killing off the monsters I was trying to make stronger.
code:

The snakeman falls over.

[ September 12, 2007: Message edited by: ricemastah ]</STRONG>

It's tempature. I was playing as a Snakeman and when I went into a "Deathly Cold" area, I took one step, dropped my weapons, and fell over. And bled to death. (Instead of freezing to death but whatever.)

Just turn off tempature in init options, it's bugged.