Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast Woes: how best to identify/quarantine visitors and migrants?  (Read 1328 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile

Weremoose represent an existential threat to my civilization.

I've already lost two fortresses to them. They come as visitors. They come in migrant waves; I believe almost half my previous fortress' migrant waves included one of the Infected.

Is it something about the new version, or just how my world's history ended up? I don't know, but I haven't seen others complaining the same. No matter: I need a way to ensure that the Infected do not destroy a third fort. How do I identify the Infected? Is there a way I can do so immediately, or do I have to set up a quarantine? How do I ensure that come the full moon, uninfected dwarves do not join the Infected, and the Infected are dealt with swiftly?

EDIT: I've checked the wiki, but it seems to be more about handling attacking werebeasts... not dealing with a long-term, on-going infection in your entire civilization that makes every migrant a possible timebomb.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 10:46:37 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Werebeast Woes: how best to identify/quarantine visitors and migrants?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 11:04:54 am »

I'd love to see the Legends Mode of this world!

Though arduous, the safest approach to quarantine is to give each migrant an individual room and/or burrow and entirely forbid visitors.  Any migrants who turn on the full moon can be eliminated or isolated.  To prevent breaches, you may even outfit each room with food and drink, then wall them in so there is no escape.

I don't know of any signs of werebeast curse that are visible on migrants, except for maybe their medical history.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 06:37:17 pm »

I'll bump this. My fortress has begun receiving visitors. I've had a total of four; one was a weretortoise and the other three were vampires.

I've segregated them by shutting them in (walls around my weretortoise, and a forbidden door closing in my tavern). One living dwarf is locked in there with them; she's a fish cleaner and she'll be sacrificed to contain the abominations.

I'm at a loss about how to deal with this; I find no option to exile or reject an unwanted visitor. If I set my military against a nominal friendly, don't I risk a loyalty cascade? And obviously, more of these insults to Armok's name will arrive. It's nice that incoming vamps can be ID'd by their appearance and profession, but the easy way to be rid of them eludes me. Good advice is needed.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 04:42:22 am »

I'm at a loss about how to deal with this; I find no option to exile or reject an unwanted visitor. If I set my military against a nominal friendly, don't I risk a loyalty cascade? And obviously, more of these insults to Armok's name will arrive. It's nice that incoming vamps can be ID'd by their appearance and profession, but the easy way to be rid of them eludes me. Good advice is needed.

Why don't use atom smashers (bridges) or spikes linked to a lever or repeater? I would never sacrifice a dwarf to get rid of unwanted visitors (or to breach a circus etc.). If the specimen is isolated, just build a corridor to it, filled with smashers or spikes, you may add an animal chained at the end, as a bait, to pull the specimen in if it doesn't cooperate. Apart from bridges used for smashing, there should be bridges used to isolate it from the rest of the fortress, safeguarded by locked door, so dwarves won't come in during the purge.

Later, when accessible, you can use a magma corridor instead.

Open the containment to the trap system (by digging) when the specimen is in sane mode, i.e. not during full moon.

If killed by accident (spikes/bridge/magma) there won't be a loyalty cascade.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 08:30:30 pm »

As far as I recall (I wrote the wiki on making a werebeast military), they do not sleep or eat. If you see a dwarf that never sleeps or eats, that's the one.

If you have some kind of artifact furniture, you can build it in a corner of a room and keep them stationed there for sparring and training. If they were sparring while transforming they will continue to do so while transformed, which is hilarious.

Werebeasts try to smash furniture they can see, but artifacts are indestructible. So when they transform they will be mesmerized by the kitten bone chains you've built them, until they turn back or a tasty dwarf enters the room. But it should keep them from killing each other, or roaming to the rest of the fort.

They heal from injuries when transforming, do not feel pain, cannot drown or be strangled and are large in size, so are great as military shock troops. If they are of a species that can grasp they can use weapons OR shields (not both) and even crossbows and bolts. With weapons in hand they are very very strong with that plus their natural attacks.

So, keep your secret super soldiers sparring in a barracks behind a drawbridge and send them out first, then let your regular military mop up the rest if there is any left.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 08:52:02 pm by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 06:58:40 am »

As far as I recall (I wrote the wiki on making a werebeast military), they do not sleep or eat. If you see a dwarf that never sleeps or eats, that's the one.

I don't think this is the case. They used to transform before the time they got hungry/sleepy. (This got rebalanced at some point, though they still can't starve to death in the time between transformations if they're kept away from food.) Anyway, it didn't help at preventing attacks because they've already transformed once by that point.

The benefits like no pain or drowning only apply in beast form, where they're unable to wear armor to protect themselves. When they transform back, they've still got no armor. This gives them a niche use as soldiers that can fully heal between battles, with the downside of micromanagement every time the full moon draws near.

You can protect their furniture (e.g., beds, workshops) by building them on a single elevated z-tile accessed by stairs. (The workshop is built on a ring of 8 constructed floors surrounding the stair, which are removed after the workshop is built.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?