Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck praying in temples for polytheists still a thing. Suggested temp fix  (Read 1761 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I noticed that polytheist creatures sometimes can still get stuck praying / meditating to only one of their deities (even though their praying need to that deity is completely fullfilled and their other deities really need praying to they will still have the pink/purple worship or meditate job for their alraedy appeased deity).
This has been a thing for years, and back in the days I posted a workaround to fix the behaviour (sorry too lazy to battle the Lovecraftian horror that is this forum's search engine to find that post), but that workaround involves so much micro and hassle that it is too tedious (in short, you need dedicated temples to all involved deities, and you need to micro stuck dwarves with squad assignment, stationing /cancelling orders, and locking doors at the right moment so they bump into a locked door after pathing is set).

Suggested easy temporary fix for Toady and Putnam: until the root cause is fixed, disallow creatures from worshipping more than one deity. This will 100% resolve the issue gameplay-wise for now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:36:47 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I'll note that this makes worlds where you've played for decades frustrating. Children of dwarves (especially kids from your forts) adopt deities from both parents. After a few generations, it seems dwarves have a minimum of 4 gods they want to worship.

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile

Yeah, devout polytheism is pretty annoying and I'd really like to not have to micro my dwarves in order to deal with their intense beliefs. Personally I feel like it would also work if dwarves couldn't be especially devoted to multiple gods and could only be super into one. They could still worship other gods but they wouldn't care as much about them as they do a particular god.

I also feel like the act of worshipping itself might take a bit too long, or that at the very least dwarves in a worship session should tour multiple temples/pray to multiple dieties instead of spending all their session time in a single one.

Also, link to the aforementioned post here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154760.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Yeah, devout polytheism is pretty annoying and I'd really like to not have to micro my dwarves in order to deal with their intense beliefs. Personally I feel like it would also work if dwarves couldn't be especially devoted to multiple gods and could only be super into one. They could still worship other gods but they wouldn't care as much about them as they do a particular god.

I also feel like the act of worshipping itself might take a bit too long, or that at the very least dwarves in a worship session should tour multiple temples/pray to multiple dieties instead of spending all their session time in a single one.

Also, link to the aforementioned post here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154760.0
Yep that's the post, thanks for digging it up!

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I do have to note that this behaviour is much more rare than when I posted that guide 7 years ago.

So far, I have had only one dwarf act like this, while I do have more polytheists running around.
Said dwarf was a resident performer, not a full citizen, and I expelled him because I didn't want to bother with the micro hassle.

Haven't seen any more dwarves get stuck.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In 50.01, my horses abandoned their pasture so that they could starve to death in the temple. I haven't had it happen since, but it was pretty funny watching my livestock pray themselves to death.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I haven't seen any more occurences of it anymore.
It was just this one resident.

The other polytheists in my fort, both resident and citizen are fine. They pray to all their different deities in my single temple.

YashaAstora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Experiencing this. My manager is nigh-endlessly praying and somehow is distracted because she doesn't get to pray enough. It's enough to make me wish I could assign more than one manager because not being able to make work orders for real-life minutes is incredibly annoying.

Granted, maybe it's less bad in 0.50.