Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assorted ideas for dwarf behavior/interactions  (Read 302 times)

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Assorted ideas for dwarf behavior/interactions
« on: January 06, 2023, 12:05:20 pm »

During the course of my current fortress, I've had to look at the sorry state of everyone's clothing and the occasional weaver being ripped to pieces by blind cave ogres and other wandering cave beasts, I found myself getting a couple of ideas:

Our forts have militaries, and if we so choose to put up with the brawls that taverns bring, monster hunters. We can command the former to guard certain locations and burrows, but I was wondering about an additional assignment that gives them the role of bodyguards, meaning that they follow other dwarves around as they go about their duties either by way of direct assignment to guard said dwarf - or if the dwarf in question is assigned to field work (mining, woodcutting, web/plant gathering, the like) but is of a more cowardly or less martial sort - of note here being that dwarves can "hire" a bodyguard of their own accord if any are available - that this could result in fun if said bodyguard turns out to have been a vampire or something similar goes without saying.

In a similar, though less combat-centric vein, it'd be interesting if weavers were able to, within reason, mend other dwarves' clothing, either by way of using up thread to stitch it back together if only xslightly wornx or by flat-out scrapping the old clothing item and creating a new one. Of course, once again, initiated by dwarves looking to have their clothing repaired or replaced.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

DuniteOlivine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assorted ideas for dwarf behavior/interactions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 03:46:33 pm »

I like the bodyguard idea, because often when I want a couple miners or web gatherers to go down into the caverns, I end up stationing a whole squad down there. Bodyguards would be a much more efficient way to give my risk-taking civilians some protection.

In regards to clothing repairs, I generally don't appreciate mechanics that consume items without player input. I'd much rather it be a repair clothing task from the clothier's shop, with task order conditions relating to how much clothes need to be worn down before considering repair.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Assorted ideas for dwarf behavior/interactions
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 02:45:25 am »

I like the bodyguard idea, because often when I want a couple miners or web gatherers to go down into the caverns, I end up stationing a whole squad down there. Bodyguards would be a much more efficient way to give my risk-taking civilians some protection.

In regards to clothing repairs, I generally don't appreciate mechanics that consume items without player input. I'd much rather it be a repair clothing task from the clothier's shop, with task order conditions relating to how much clothes need to be worn down before considering repair.
Permitting or forbidding clothes mending could always be a standing order kind of thing, similar to how we can allow or forbid refuse gathering, web gathering, the like. It shouldn't be too disastrous once you have the caverns open; if you can count on your weavers having someone to keep watch over them, most areas will have a steady influx of cloth with a cloth industry. Perhaps rather than have it be a strict yes/no binary, allow the player to set a minimum amount of cloth for automated tasks? ...come to think of it, that kind of feature might have some merit for things like cooking and brewing permissions too.
Having it be a player-assigned task might work as well, though I'm not so much a fan of the inevitable job cancellation messages this would invite. Log clutter and all that.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.