Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma for export  (Read 568 times)

Asdfe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma for export
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:50:29 am »

I've been doing some minecart magma shenanigans while getting my metalworks set up, and I noticed something. The minecarts are worth a lot more dwarfbucks when full of lava then when empty! They were iron carts and went from roughly 300-500 to at least 1000 depending on quality of the cart.

Presumably this means the magma itself has a significant amount of vale. Has anyone ever tried to set up a magma bottling plant to take advantage of this? Could you bottle the magma in magma-safe pots or barrels? The biggest problem I see with selling the minecarts to caravans is weight, though I'd have to double check the numbers on that. The ideal container would be fill-able with magma, magma-safe, light, and made out of cheap materials.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Magma for export
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 10:12:14 am »

Adamantine magma carts are what you want in that case.  Best ratio of container weight to content volume.  I know there are some dwarven smithing tequniques to generate infinite metals, but don't have much experience with doing so for adamantine which uses a different process.  I believe it involves either splitting stacks of coins or stacks of ammo to then melt down individually.

I don't think non magma safe materials melt instantaneously, so you could try filling aluminum minecarts right at the depot if you can trade them fast enough.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 02:26:11 pm »

Magma is worth 1 urist each, and mine carts hold 800+ fluid.

Water might be easier if it's worth the same.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 02:30:47 pm »

Plants are currently an infinite resource so long as you don't cook them or their seeds, plus their light weight makes them easy to trade.  Quarry bush leaves, cave wheat flour & dwarven syrup can make some nice roasts until the end of time.  Though I admit it's not as dwarfy as trading magma.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 03:26:18 pm »

No, no.  You don’t even need minecarts at all.  Rope reed bags should do just fine…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.