Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anonymous sex  (Read 747 times)

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
Anonymous sex
« on: January 02, 2023, 09:12:49 pm »

I was looking through relations among some new immigrants and found something a little odd. One of my dwarf children has two parents who don't know each other.

Cerol is married to Besmar. But when I look at Cerol's firstborn son Inod, Besmar is not the mother. Rovod is the mother.

Yet Cerol and Rovod, despite having a child together, appear never to have met. Neither is in the other's list of relations, not as a lover, not even as a passing acquaintance.

Is this a bug? Or could there be some explanation?
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anonymous sex
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 11:08:44 pm »

What does Legends Mode say? One or the other parents may be an imposter. What occasionally happens is that it's not an imposter, but actually a spy from your own civ who was busy infiltrating the goblins when the game picked him up to migrate to your fortress (usually as part of code trying to make families stick together).

So, read carefully and don't apply magma just yet.

(Alternatively might just be the child of an ex-lover).

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 01:54:09 pm »

Yet Cerol and Rovod, despite having a child together, appear never to have met. Neither is in the other's list of relations, not as a lover, not even as a passing acquaintance.

How relationship works are not very clear. According to the wiki, if someone is absent for long they can be forgotten i.e. not even as a passing acquaintance. Though I have no idea if there is any relationship simulation during world activities (much of it is fluff)

Could be simply that how history generation works e.g. the lover status we removed and nothing else was assigned as it makes no sense there.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 02:02:14 pm »

I was looking through relations among some new immigrants and found something a little odd. One of my dwarf children has two parents who don't know each other.

Cerol is married to Besmar. But when I look at Cerol's firstborn son Inod, Besmar is not the mother. Rovod is the mother.

Is this a bug? Or could there be some explanation?

I'm sure there's a less interesting explanation but to me this sounds like a dwarven one-night stand.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.