Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about clothing preferences on modded entities  (Read 347 times)

upir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question about clothing preferences on modded entities
« on: December 30, 2022, 09:17:18 am »

I'm making a modded race of feral goblins (they are also somewhat smaller, 40000), living primarily in jungle so I'm trying to keep clothing to a minimum. So i've got very basic set of modded and vanilla clothing:

- harness (custom)
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_HARNESS]
   [NAME:harness:harnesses]
   [UBSTEP:1]
   [LBSTEP:0]
   [LAYER:UNDER]
   [COVERAGE:10]
   [LAYER_SIZE:10]
   [LAYER_PERMIT:30]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
   [SOFT]
   [LEATHER]
   [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]

- collar (custom)
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COLLAR]
   [NAME:collar:collars]
   [UBSTEP:1]
   [LBSTEP:0]
   [LAYER:OVER]
   [COVERAGE:40]
   [LAYER_SIZE:10]
   [LAYER_PERMIT:30]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
   [SOFT]
   [LEATHER]
   [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]

- loincloth (vanilla, under layer)
   [PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:COMMON]
- sandal (vanilla)
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SANDAL:COMMON]
I'm having issues with generated expedition goblins not wearing anything besides harness and sandals initially. They will wear every clothing if I select all these clothes on embark though. For the love of god i cannot figure out what's wrong here. After lots of experiments I figured out that if I change collar layer to under it will appear on expedition members initially but that's not the best solution and if it is I'd like to know what causes this behavior.

So, question: what influences wearing preferences? What's the reason for not wearing loincloth initially taking into account the fact that if supplied on embark everyone would pick up and wear those?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about clothing preferences on modded entities
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 10:02:09 am »

You might have to check your entity definition to see if you might have copy-pasted your missing clothes under UNCOMMON, which would make the knowledge of how to make them dissapear in divisions of half, quarters etc, depending on how many you defined.

OR/(possibly and) they have a material issues regarding the structure (([SOFT][LEATHER][METAL])), and the available plants/animals/metal manufacturing in that area they're allowed to settle. Which is why goblins wear so much troll yarn everywhere, because they go everywhere the goblins do.

On layering, it seems to be doing the correct action, as under can't co-exist with other unders so long as the UPSTEP,UBSTEP and LBSTEP & Layer Permit make sense (mittens over gloves, socks over shoes, no multi glove or sock stacking without the room to fit a under inside a over) with loincloths as underwear being a under to trousers over given space.  In previous 47.05 which didn't give dwarves producible underwear and just [OVER] pants, they used to steal goblin loincloths from the sieger's belongings often enough to prompt toady to add them to 50.04.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 10:07:45 am by FantasticDorf »

upir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Question about clothing preferences on modded entities
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 03:53:30 pm »

You might have to check your entity definition to see if you might have copy-pasted your missing clothes under UNCOMMON
No, that's not the case, everything is intentionally set to COMMON, although it's a good thing you mentioned knowledge as I was under the impression that COMMON/UNCOMMON/RARE only influences chance of immigrants having that clothing item on.

OR/(possibly and) they have a material issues regarding the structure
I've provided definitions in the first post, those are basically copies of similar vanilla items with minimal changes like alterations to ubstep, coverage, permit size and stuff.

On layering
As I said, at first I set Harness to UNDER and Collar to OVER and collar wasn't appearing in clothing on embarking goblins. When I changed collar to UNDER it started to appear (either harness or collar) which is strange and I'm struggling to understand what's causing this.

As for loincloths, it seems to be the opposite case here: I copy/pasted loincloth as custom pants only altering its layer from UNDER to OVER and it's started to appear on embarking goblins. But i suspect loincloth issues may be related to the bug you mentioned and I suspect the fix is not covering all cases.