Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outdoors Architecture  (Read 1031 times)

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outdoors Architecture
« on: December 23, 2022, 07:20:14 pm »

I've been experimenting with sloped roofs, L-shaped building with intersecting roofs, simple (few materials needed) sloped sheds to contain temporary workshops, attics, dorners to expand a second-story room without rebuilding the whole building, windows coming out of a slope, lean-to additions against high walls, multiple z-level rooms... anything other than square rooms with flat roofs. what pleasing features do members of the forums like to put on their buildings? Looking for more interesting variations to attatch to outdoor structures, especially features specific to particular workshops or features spanning multiple z-levels. Pics would be nice too!

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outdoors Architecture
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 07:29:05 pm »

Personally I've been pushing myself to more of a Roman approach, with lots of columns and very large structures. Lots of roofed walkways surrounding open courtyards.

I'm also still doing all of this underground, sorta. Carving out a gigantic chamber with a giant, carved city. It's slow-going to say the least but I would say the same principles apply.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 12:54:00 pm »

I've noticed that we can't build walls and floors out of soap.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 10:51:32 am »

I've noticed that we can't build walls and floors out of soap.

Oh no!  Does that mean no more Ash for the temple of fire and death?  :(

Update:  Ash, coke, and soap cannot be used for construction anymore.  Metal works.  I assume only bars with one or all of these material tokens are allowed:  ITEMS_HARD, ITEMS_METAL, ITEMS_BARRED, ITEMS_SCALED
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 10:59:51 am by Mobbstar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 11:27:46 am »

gigantic pyramids

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 12:55:44 pm »

I usually make my buildings more or less all inclusive boxes on top of boxes, it's fun to build up. I get the most fun out of designing columned, open to the sky courtyards however for my army to train in- to make them more resistant to the sun and the elements.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 10:47:28 am »

I usually opt to just use simple box buildings that I stack for the sake of time efficiency, since I like to play modded species that build outdoors and building up enough housing for everyone is very time consuming otherwise.

The thought of making slanted roofs hadn't ever even really occurred to me before and I've never tried it, but I think I might try some urban renewal and rebuild some structures and see what I can do with more interesting shapes
Through pain, I find wisdom.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 12:59:05 am »

Depending on how you define 'Outdoors', We either do not typically build Outdoors or We build Roofs, and Roofs only.  Our outdoor Structures are Extensions of Our underground ones, so We've never bothered trying to be fancy.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 12:33:23 pm »

Recently I've been trying a fort where I build outdoor buildings by channeling out the living stone. The streets are open, but the buildings are natural. Most of them have sloped roofs, because it's a bit easier to designate and keeps my dwarves from falling as easily.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 05:40:50 am »

I still use the methods i had before for chunky 2x2 corner pillars (ease of use, and walls can be drawn in a continuous line in even more floorspace for a anti-climber building), but ramps are incredible now in that respect, since they actually come with some pre-built flooring when constructed so fufill two for the price of one when hanging off the edge of a building and graphic ver really elevates their aesthetic appeal for roofing.

In classic they used to just hang in free space, so much that you could just leave them hanging in the air not doing anything via some exploits.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 12:02:21 pm »

I mainly do surface forts and try to make them look like "medieval" villages. Houses have usually a workshop and a living area (and a sloped roof).

There's some screenshots of the latest village in my Waterlures thread.