Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam release: change default work details to custom  (Read 1218 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam release: change default work details to custom
« on: December 07, 2022, 02:06:46 pm »

Hi everyone,

I'm enjoying the graphical release but some things appear to be more convoluted than needed.
Here's a suggestion from boombone on Steam discussions that i wanted to highlight here since I had similar thoughts:

"I would love if the Default Work Details were just custom work details that you started with. The ability to rename, modify what the detail covers, and even remove it if i see fit would be a great change for these. At this point my fort is specialized enough that the default details are just bloat in my list."

I believe that this would be an easy change to increase QoL. What do you guys think?

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam release: change default work details to custom
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 02:09:47 pm »

Just saw that the topic is already mentioned here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180665.0

Will post in there, so this one is moot. Sorry for that!

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 05:20:49 pm »

The whole menu needs to be rethought, I shouldn't be punished for wanting to give every job its own detail. I know I'm not the only player who desires this level of control.

For making a decent military, there ought to be a simpler way of seeing which dwarfs have NO labor skills. I don't want to be checking whether every dwarf is a magnificent dyer or stringed instrumentalist every time I draft one into a military.

I guess I just want the old Labor Manager that's included with dfhack.

Also, annoyingly, when you rename a work detail, it doesn't erase the default name, you have to hold down backspace.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 12:36:00 am »

The whole menu needs to be rethought, I shouldn't be punished for wanting to give every job its own detail. I know I'm not the only player who desires this level of control.

For making a decent military, there ought to be a simpler way of seeing which dwarfs have NO labor skills. I don't want to be checking whether every dwarf is a magnificent dyer or stringed instrumentalist every time I draft one into a military.

I guess I just want the old Labor Manager that's included with dfhack.

Also, annoyingly, when you rename a work detail, it doesn't erase the default name, you have to hold down backspace.
You know DfHack hasn't died right? If you want a DFHack function, DfHack will provide it.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 11:47:46 am »

Yes I will be glad when it the modders release a new version, I'm very grateful for their work on DFHack and other utilities. I have very limited programming skills but hope that I can contribute something once the basic framework is released.