Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.05] clothing and armor compatability  (Read 863 times)

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
[47.05] clothing and armor compatability
« on: March 20, 2023, 01:32:07 pm »

A few questions pertaining to a military dwarf's ability to wear clothing and armor together:

Is it possible to wear socks and low boots?

Is it possible to wear socks and high boots?

Is it possible to wear any leg covering clothing alongside greaves? (which if so)

I want to outfit my squads in a uniform that will not leave them naked to avoid the bad nakedness thoughts while still allowing them to fully equip themselves with armor as it gets made.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:33:56 pm by Metruption »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] clothing and armor compatability
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:46:06 pm »

Check this section of this wikipage, specifically the Layer column.

You can have at least one Under layer plus one Armor layer and sometimes an Over layer as well. So socks and boots, or trousers and greaves. You can layer more on the upper torso but not everything layers well together.

Or, just set the uniform to "wear over clothing" and they will wear most of the armor as it is produced.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:50:24 am »

Check this section of this wikipage, specifically the Layer column.

You can have at least one Under layer plus one Armor layer and sometimes an Over layer as well. So socks and boots, or trousers and greaves. You can layer more on the upper torso but not everything layers well together.

Or, just set the uniform to "wear over clothing" and they will wear most of the armor as it is produced.
my dwarves don't seem to be wearing socks and low boots at the same time

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 11:03:27 am »

With footwear...

When uniforms are set to "wear over clothing", dwarfs will tend to wear socks and shoes.

When uniforms are set to "replace clothing", dwarfs will tend to wear just boots unless socks are also part of the uniform then they will wear a different pair of socks than they wear with their shoes, because now they will have one pair of socks for on-duty and one pair of socks for off-duty.

The same applies to handwear.
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 02:45:20 pm »

With footwear...

When uniforms are set to "wear over clothing", dwarfs will tend to wear socks and shoes.

When uniforms are set to "replace clothing", dwarfs will tend to wear just boots unless socks are also part of the uniform then they will wear a different pair of socks than they wear with their shoes, because now they will have one pair of socks for on-duty and one pair of socks for off-duty.

The same applies to handwear.
I'm specifying a uniform which contains the clothing I want them to wear set to replace clothing.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 09:54:54 pm »

If you think you have the equipment but that they aren't wearing it, you can create a uniform with nothing in it, assign that uniform to that squad, unpause the game for a few seconds, then assign the uniform you want them to use.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 04:25:20 am »

Regarding the nakedness thought, they don't need to wear civilian clothing like pants or shirts to have it averted, the armour counterparts are enough. My military dwarves wear only cloaks in addition to metal parts, and are happy with it.

As a side note, in premium version it is possible to have dwarves clothed (from their point of view), but looking partially naked. My civ doesn't know shirts, so new dwarves clothe themselves only in trousers, cloaks, gloves, socks and shoes. So their upper torso is covered by cloaks only. Because cloaks have prominent hoods, but leave the built-in undergarments visible (open to the front), my dwarves look like perverts until they find a dress or something.