Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam Version Issues/Improvements?  (Read 308 times)

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam Version Issues/Improvements?
« on: December 28, 2022, 09:52:51 am »

I'm not sure if these are bugs or if they're just things that need to be improved, so forgive me if this belongs in a different part of the forum, but these are things that I've noticed that are in need of fixing or improving.

Trading:
1. It's impossible to trade just the things you want to trade, by which I mean it's impossible to figure out what is what. What do I mean? Let's say that you have two stockpiles with finished goods. One with the stuff you want, one with all the stuff you don't. At the moment, when you try to set things to be traded, it sorts the bins by the materials they're made out of, not what's in them, and they're all just labeled 'finished goods bin.' Which brings me to...
2. The sort function simply doesn't work. You search 'bone rings' and it brings up literally everything or nothing. Which means that if you have any kind of decent fort going, trying to find the specific things you want to trade is impossible. Yes, I know that sometimes it will give a number next to the bins to say which stockpile they're in, but it doesn't tell you that number in when you select the stockpiles themselves. And more than that, it doesn't ALWAYS tell you. For example, some of the bins in the stockpile will have a number next to them, and some of them won't. And if they don't, you'll never be able to figure out which finished goods bin is the right one!
3. I'm not sure why you can't close bins the way you can close types of items in the trading menu? Meaning that you can close the entire 'bins' subheader, but you can't close individual bins, which is a problem if you have hundreds of items in that bin. It makes you want to just trade everything even if it's a loss.
4. The same can be said for trying to find things that are being offered to you by merchants. It's extremely hard to get through it all and incentivizes you to just buy everything.
5. I think part of the problem is that the UI is too large? Like everything needs to be much, much smaller. One reason that it worked with the classic graphics was because everything was at like 10pt font, and now it's at 30pt font, and it takes up so much space and makes it hard to get through all the stuff, especially when you can't just hit page down and instead have to either scroll or take your chances trying to move the scrollbar randomly.

Justice:
1. Why exactly does the newest and most relevant interrogation show up at the BOTTOM of the feed? With the missions you take on the world map, the newest stuff appears at the top, which is good. But with the justice screen, it throws them all at the bottom? It's very annoying.
2. Why doesn't it tell you when an interrogation is finished? This seems like something that requires a popup.
3. Why is it so hard to navigate the interrogation screen? Why is every dead creature that has ever existed on the map listed there? Does it really need to have a thousand random dead goblins and underground animals listed as possible interrogation options?
4. Why is it that when you schedule interrogations, your captain of the guard/dungeon master can just decide not to do them, and instead go off and put animals in pastures and store items in stockpiles, even when you have it set to them not being allowed to do other jobs? Is that just a suggestion? Does it not work? It's hard for me to figure out why he's off doing other things instead of his job despite having it set for him to not do other jobs.
5. It would be nice if it alerted you when new crimes were discovered, especially when they're something like murder or theft of specific items.
6. It would be nice if deciding punishments was put in the hands of the player when people confess. It's natural to have nobles decide punishments when people fail production orders or w/e. But it makes less sense when you're deciding punishments for theft and the like.

Rooms:
1. Seems like someone changed it so you can't just have offices, bedrooms, and dining rooms as the same overlapping room?
2. So right now, if your appraiser is terrible, you have exactly no idea how much rooms are worth. Which is normally fine, unless you have a contract to build a temple or something, and you keep filling it with items that say they're enough, but somehow the people in the temple or whatever know the REAL value? It's very confusing. Either the values need to be correct all the time, or the room's value needs to be what the appraiser says it is.

World Missions:
1. It would be nice if, after sending a squad somewhere at least once, you actually knew how many people were there. Or how many times it would take to destroy it. It's somewhat annoying sending troops to 'raze' a place several times because for some reason they decided not to finish the job.

Military:
1. Why do your military dwarves try to store food in their barracks? For reasons I can't explain, dwarves will pick up finished meals, put them on top of chests in the barracks, and then let them spoil, spreading miasma through the entire room. Then after the food spoils, they bring more food to put with the spoiled food and then wait for it to spoil. Either food in chests needs to not spoil, or they need to stop bringing food to the barracks. I've played with the settings, but none of them seem to stop them from bringing food constantly to their barracks.

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Version Issues/Improvements?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 02:47:24 pm »

Speaking of barracks, dwarves don't actually seem to store equipment in barracks designated for storage even after I stocked em with armor stands, weapon racks, cabinets, etc.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 03:37:16 pm »

Speaking of barracks, dwarves don't actually seem to store equipment in barracks designated for storage even after I stocked em with armor stands, weapon racks, cabinets, etc.

The part about armor stands and weapon racks is a well-known long-standing bug.  It’s been around for a long time.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 08:10:28 pm »

I think this is a bug in the non-steam version as well.

However, in the non-steam version, dwarves don't store food on the ground and wait for it to rot before marinating in miasma. Not sure it's a good thing my heavily armed soldiers are marinating in miasma.