Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Steam] Is burial completely broken?  (Read 2453 times)

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Steam] Is burial completely broken?
« on: December 21, 2022, 06:47:11 pm »

First we have the multi-burial thing that doesn't work, which is frustrating enough, but I've had a werelizard spiral take my fort from 150 down to 3.

Season and years have passed, but the 200 coffins in a giant room, each one inside an exhuasting 1x1 handplaced tomb square, remain 50% empty and there are skeletal reminas scattered all over the fort with seemingly no effort to pick them up.

I have dedicated refuse haulers, dedicated burial haulers, dedicated cleaners, and PLENTY of room for everyone. but they're just not using the coffins. Half of them remain empty, and do not listen to the dwarf button (bury any dwarf) and even don't listen to the (again exhausting) manual assignment of every single 150 dwarf that died into their own tomb (if only the menus had filters like SHOW ONLY: DECEASED && NOT BURIED)

I've placed 10 slabs too, and none of those are being used.

I don't want my fort to be covered in bodies anymore. Everyone is sad all the time.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Steam] Is burial completely broken?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 07:31:06 pm »

I've had similar problems.  It wasn't as high as 50% remaining unused, more like 1 in 20.  But also had the problem of bodies piling up and no one hauling to coffins.  I had to flag them as dump to get them moved to a quantum stockpile.

When you made the tombs, did you designate the square as a tomb before your dwarves finished hauling the casket?  I think that might cause problems.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 07:38:23 pm »

Oh, as for slabs, you have to engrave them at the stonecrafters workshop before placing them.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 10:45:20 pm »

Did you try putting the coffins behind doors? I think you need to do that now- so a 1x2 space in total off the hallway.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 10:52:05 pm »

Haven't had to bury many dwarves in the new version luckily, but good to know in advance that this is an issue so I can make burial preparations accordingly.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 11:08:17 pm »

Unless you enclose your coffins, you have to set each one as a 1x1 coffin zone right now.
There's a tooltip that explains this first time you set one.

Do that and it just works the way it's always worked. And you can decide if pets are allowed or not.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 12:12:03 am »

My toms area is working more or less fine now: put the coffins down, 1x1 tomb zone, the door's up, the corpse & bodyparts storage areas is up, the dwarves are not too busy (by a mass tantrum or a werecapybara epidemic).
I found out that the corpses tend to pile up when things get out of control:D

Also I keep a couple of emergency slabs: a ghost pops up -> rush an engraving job -> set up the slab -> no more haunting!

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 08:44:55 am »

First we have the multi-burial thing that doesn't work, which is frustrating enough, but I've had a werelizard spiral take my fort from 150 down to 3.

Season and years have passed, but the 200 coffins in a giant room, each one inside an exhuasting 1x1 handplaced tomb square, remain 50% empty and there are skeletal reminas scattered all over the fort with seemingly no effort to pick them up.

If you dig a 1x2 hole and put the coffin behind a door, multi-placement will work for tombs. Dwarves have very annoying hauling priorities though. Being able to set certain items for priority hauling would be a huge improvement to the game.

I've placed 10 slabs too, and none of those are being used.

I've noticed a bug (?) where dwarves will assign slabbed dwarves for burial, even if their remains are underwater. It wastes coffins and is annoying, but I haven't had any issues with, say, ghosts haunting my fort after I build an engraved slab as a furniture item.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 03:28:30 pm »

I really want to be able to still build open mausoleum without doors with ease. It used to be easy to play tombs: 1 coffin per 1 dead dwarf.
But now we have to do 1 coffin per 1 dead dwarf with the addition of 1 tomb zone per 1 dead dwarf, which is more tedious for what I'm trying to do.
My post ends here.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 08:50:15 pm »

I've noticed a bug (?) where dwarves will assign slabbed dwarves for burial, even if their remains are underwater. It wastes coffins and is annoying, but I haven't had any issues with, say, ghosts haunting my fort after I build an engraved slab as a furniture item.

I think this has been the case since before Steam. If the dwarf has been found dead, they'll claim a coffin even if their remains are later dumped in magma or reanimated.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 07:28:39 am »

I think for the time being it's better to use slabs, while atom smashing the remains.
Slabs don't require enclosed room, and they provide some context on the deceased dwarf and circumstances of his death, which coffin does not.
Since there is no other way to get information about the dead dwarf whatsoever in the Steam version, slabs seem like a better option.

https://imgur.com/a/YEAhPth