Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing value of redroot dye  (Read 343 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing value of redroot dye
« on: December 19, 2022, 05:01:07 pm »

In the Steam version, where do you edit the file to change the value of this dye to match the other dyes? I want this to apply to my current saves too. I'm playing on Microsoft Windows.

Thanks!

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing value of redroot dye
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 08:09:05 pm »

Not finding Hide Root or anything about dyeing in the vanilla raw files. I'll keep looking.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 08:42:56 pm »

This page on the wiki explains the prices of dye. If you investigate further, you'll find that hide root as a plant has a value of 1, where the other three dye plants each have a value of 2. So, that's the reason redroot dye is cheaper, and that means you're looking for the plant, and not the dye.

Open up steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\vanilla\vanilla_plants\objects. You know hide root isn't a grass or a tree, leaving three files which you'll need to open and do a quick Ctrl-F for "hide." Once you find it in plant_standard.txt, you'll see that somewhere in that block it says [VALUE:1], and that's what you change.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 08:45:20 pm »

I could've sworn I Ctrl-F'ed in plant_standard! Thank you. There doesn't seem to be a way to apply changes to saves though
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:51:56 pm by PopTart »

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 11:23:49 pm »

When DF creates a new world, it creates everything based on the files as they exist, if they are installed files (that if only applies to mods). So, your world is made and it has no need to look back in the vanilla raws that you changed. Beyond that, making the change applied is something I don't know either. Good luck!