Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Steam version UI  (Read 3907 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam version UI
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 07:23:17 pm »

Flashing on and off would look a bit weird with graphics probably. But would definitely be nice to get the hauling visual back in classic.
You won't ever get sprites showing what each dwarf is hauling probably, there's just too much stuff.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 08:13:45 pm »

Flashing on and off would look a bit weird with graphics probably.

It already does this for multiple creatures on a tile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 08:29:38 pm »

Flashing on and off would look a bit weird with graphics probably.

It already does this for multiple creatures on a tile.
Yeah, but that's not quite the same as flashing between "dwarf" and "crossbow bolt".

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2022, 03:51:43 am »

Do you think that the Steam version's UI is good enough to replace external tools like Dwarf Therapist or Legends Viewer?
Steam version still needs work but yeah, it could do it after a few patches.

At the moment, a properly configured Therapist offers a better Labors functionality than the Labors system in Steam DF. The only exception is the ability to auto-assign miscellaneous jobs to any new dwarves which is a useful time saver. Not critical though - again, with a properly configured Therapist you only save yourself a few clicks per season. Steam DF also makes life easier for a new player by providing him a bunch of useful templates, but for any advanced player the difference between the amount of fine-tuning they need to do (either in Therapist on in the new Labors screen) is effectively the same.

Oh, and they really need to make predefined Labors editable and configurable, otherwise you're going to spend the game with a bunch of labors that you never use but which still take up precious space on the very first page of Labors screen (and occasionally receive accidental misclicks).
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 05:54:28 am »

any advanced player

See, this is precisely what has me so pissed off in all these threads. Is it inconceivable that the way you play isn't the literal best way to play? Because the implication that "any advanced player" is micromanaging every single dwarf is exactly that. You can't reasonably be accusing me of playstyle myopia and then turning around and saying that advanced players will universally be doing at most as well with the new system as with therapist. I believe you're an advanced player, I have no reason not to, and I don't really believe you're trying to say I'm not an advanced player, but clearly some part of you thinks that anyone who disagrees with you must not be or you wouldn't be saying stuff like that?

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2022, 08:43:35 am »

weak point of 2d graphic, every action needs a sprite

who knows if they will be able to find a way instead of doubling the graphic for every sprite that carries something
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2022, 09:04:12 am »

I would think that reusing the existing item graphics is definitely possible. Layering the item sprite over the dwarf carrying it would be enough imo.
Seeing what a dwarf is carrying without clicking on them would be nice.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 08:18:08 pm »

Yeah but I agree it was nice to see the flashing back and forth thing so you didn't have to go and view each hauler individually
True.

At the moment, a properly configured Therapist offers a better Labors functionality than the Labors system in Steam DF.
It offers much more than that just the ability to check and manage dwarf job allocations (military assignments and handle animals). You get an overview of everything in the fort in a very convenient way e.g. you can easily sort by migration wave and check everyone attributes and personality traits. Unfortunately the fnew UI seem to focus on being approachable rather than useful in this way for more advanced players.

Oh, and they really need to make predefined Labors editable and configurable, otherwise you're going to spend the game with a bunch of labors that you never use but which still take up precious space on the very first page of Labors screen (and occasionally receive accidental misclicks).
Agreed.
Pages: 1 [2]