Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How was "Trading" with merchants changed?  (Read 491 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
How was "Trading" with merchants changed?
« on: December 23, 2022, 01:03:14 pm »

I double checked raws and it didnt seem like anything changed for trading with caravans, etc. I did hear about that Caravans now need to be traded with other civs to gain their trust in order for them to bring wagons to your fortress.

BUT With my mod I have had people complain about issues of trade caravans having nothing, or soon to be nothing. Tho from what I can tell from the little that some provided me, is that their civ was at war and I do remember there being a mechanic of, if your civ was at war and losing big time, caravans wont have much, or anything, or wont even show up in those cases.

Am I losing my mind and missing something that was changed, or are people just coming across a vanilla related mechanic that isnt discussed much?

Edit: Also reason why I am asking is because I didnt have this issue ever in 47.x
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 02:08:24 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How was "Trading" with merchants changed?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 09:47:47 am »

Trade and diplomacy are essentially the same thing in Dwarf Fortress, with the new requirement to be least a first level land holder tied into the appearance of wagons in 50.04, shouldn't in theory impact a net+ trade relationship, but i might be wrong.

Talking in 47.05, once you've met a stalemate with your own civ or another civ due to a misunderstanding or deliberate hostility, there isn't the opportunity to mend the relationship with trade via offering things or just making one-sided deals, which normally a lot of wagons gives you some wiggle-room to act deviously towards them while still hedging on peace.

Tribute as far as i've seen sets a high bar for relationship, but it degrades through interaction with your site. So goblin tributes are very much temporary for firing every season. ((not really a modding solvable issue other than modding values between civs to not implicitly hate each other on sight))

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How was "Trading" with merchants changed?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 10:04:01 am »

Caravans have a weight limit, which should be much lower without wagons and thus might limit the amount of goods available for trade

Also the devs have spoken about caravans making the game too easy,  it is possible that some under the hood adjustments have been made as well