Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where's my fortress?  (Read 1552 times)

Rigoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where's my fortress?
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »

I have read the wiki but I can't find my old fortress. The region doesn't seem to be listed. I belive I chose a dwarf from the right land but nobody knows about the site or the region name. I don't get it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where's my fortress?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

If you're sure you're in the right place, just keep asking the same dwarf over and over again about local places. You don't even have to exit the conversation window. Apperently all dwarven peasents are walking libraries.

I just went to explore one of my fortresses that had 'dug too deep' and it took a good dozen or so 'tell me about the local area' before my fort was mentioned.

(Long story short - ran into the demon. Death.)

Rigoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »

I have checked the big map and it seems my fortress is surrounded by mountains, and there are no other dwarven civs close by. So if all mountain squares are impassable I can't reach my fortress with a dwarf?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »

That's right -- it doesn't do a floodfill check when it places your outpost.  I can add this later, but if I hacked something in quickly it would just lead to many more map rejects most likely.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 09:35:00 am »

How about a clearer interface for choosing the starting site?  Then we could choose between a remote or well connected site.  It looks like the game intentionally obscures the surroundings right now, and its hard to identify it even with a picture of the world map.  How about just letting the player scroll around a full color world map, and highlight sites like the 'q' building interface ?

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to see what biome type each site has.  It's not clear if one is going to get broadleaf, conifer, taiga, swamp, etc., and the wildlife is very different on each.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

I can play with it a little bit.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 08:15:00 am »

quote:
How about just letting the player scroll around a full color world map, and highlight sites like the 'q' building interface ?

Excellent idea.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »

Usually the map contains more than enough information to locate it on the world map, just look at big features and landmarks, then look for those features on the map. Ive had cases where its hard to find a spot on a map, but since ive gotten used to the game, i dont beleive its ever been impossible for me.

The game seems to intentionally make it at least sort of difficult to locate yourself on the world map, so if thats Toady's intentions, then so be it.

[ December 01, 2006: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Rigoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »

It's good to have a little mystery and let the player slowly begin to understand the big picture.

The problem here was that the Wiki is telling me that I should be able to find my site but in this case that wasn't true.

I don't know how many hours I have wasted on things that's explained wrong on the Wiki, such as armor/weapons racks not worknig.

Then we have the free prisoners bug and stay inside not working.

These things are making a great game less playable and makes the player confused and frustrated, taxing his patience.

I will absolutly give it one more try, but I think at least a Wiki update and the prisoner/stay inside issues should be fixed ASAP.

Thanks for an otherwise great game!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

The prisoner and stay inside issues are already fixed for the next version.

Rigoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 07:28:00 pm »

That's great! Ehum, I overdone it a little earlier, you know, there wasn't "hours" wasted because of the bugs. It's just that you get very frustrated trying lots of solutions and then finally find out there's no solution! Anyway, that was before I began reading this forum, so now I will stop throwing tantrums. 8)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 09:53:00 am »

Just create an account and edit the Wiki page that has inaccurate info.  It's very easy, and will pay back a little of the benefit you get from reading it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rigoth:
<STRONG>
I will absolutly give it one more try, but I think at least a Wiki update and the prisoner/stay inside issues should be fixed ASAP.

Thanks for an otherwise great game!</STRONG>

Rigoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 10:33:00 am »

Maybe I will do that later when I'm sure of what I am doing. If that's ever gonna happen...

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »

Well, if those bugs are fixed now, there's little point to documenting them in the wiki.  But it's not that complicated.  Just hit the edit button and add some text.  And if somehow you screw it up, it's easy for anyone to fix.  Dive in.