Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious performance issues of the new Steam DF have to be addressed  (Read 1477 times)

DarkDvr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bug tracker website is broken (project is not set up), so I have to post it here, hoping to draw attention to what is in my opinion the main problem with the Steam DF right now.
Hoping KitFox/Toady are aware and are working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1OJMr3ACTo

Game version latest as of Dec 12, 2022
Running game @ fullscreen 2560x1440
On: i7 9700K (@4.5Ghz), RTX 2070 Super (latest drivers)

To reproduce, set your game res to 1080p or higher, zoom out from default 2-3 times (button by the minimap). Most noticeable looking at something graphics-heavy, like tree canopies.

spikethehobbitmage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Serious performance issues of the new Steam DF have to be addressed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 10:26:58 pm »

Bug tracker website is broken (project is not set up), so I have to post it here, hoping to draw attention to what is in my opinion the main problem with the Steam DF right now.

To reproduce, set your game res to 1080p or higher, zoom out from default 2-3 times (button by the minimap). Most noticeable looking at something graphics-heavy, like tree canopies.
If you're using a version that won't be released for another three days then I think we have bigger problems. Just saying.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 03:27:40 am »

Ignoring for the moment your confusion about versions (use numbers, not dates, and especially not bogus future dates; are you on 50.02?  That is the current version as of 2022-12-10, and has some graphical fixes):

The default setup is 8 levels of "view lower levels with increasing fog", more-or-less similar to what the old Text Will Be Text multi-level render did.  This can be seriously performance eating when you're over an open area, FPS drops from ~60 to ~15 in my case.  Try setting down to 4 (or fewer) levels viewed and see if performance improves. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 02:00:55 pm »

The default setup is 8 levels of "view lower levels with increasing fog", more-or-less similar to what the old Text Will Be Text multi-level render did.  This can be seriously performance eating when you're over an open area, FPS drops from ~60 to ~15 in my case.  Try setting down to 4 (or fewer) levels viewed and see if performance improves.

I think setting GFPS to something like 30 (default is 50) might also help.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DarkDvr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 02:08:33 pm »

If you're using a version that won't be released for another three days then I think we have bigger problems. Just saying.

I was using the current, release-branch Steam version as of the date of that video. Not sure what future version you're talking about. So, 50.02 I believe.

DarkDvr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 02:09:09 pm »

I think setting GFPS to something like 30 (default is 50) might also help.

Didn't, tried dropping to 30, raising to 144, no effect at all.