Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam: Removing Werebeasts?  (Read 647 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Steam: Removing Werebeasts?
« on: December 15, 2022, 07:23:54 pm »

While I know plenty of people enjoy every kind of 'FUN' the game throws at you, I don't find Werebeasts FUN, especially not in the Steam version with its weird pacing, poor combat logs, even poorer announcement system, and just general issues viz. keeping a close eye on your Fortress.

Tracking Werebeasts and their damage just makes me tired, I find it tedious busywork for a leaden mechanic that lacks robust or interesting counter-measures - is it possible to remove them? Or nerf them? SOme change to the RAWS = anyone know?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam: Removing Werebeasts?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 07:26:17 pm »

There should be a werebeast curse count in advanced world generation. Setting that to zero will prevent werebeasts from appearing.

I don't know if the Steam version has it, though.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 07:51:16 pm »

There should be a werebeast curse count in advanced world generation. Setting that to zero will prevent werebeasts from appearing.

I don't know if the Steam version has it, though.
It does. Advanced worldgen is almost exactly the same.

Only differences seem to be that the initial settings have mineral_scarcity at 100, and the werewolf/titan triggers are 0-5 rather than exact numbers now - the exact number that each level refers to can be set in-game so you can dynamically slide about the difficulty a bit without editing your worldgen Prefs.

0 will turn them off.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 08:48:36 pm »

Thank you!
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."