Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On late maturing dwarves  (Read 1325 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On late maturing dwarves
« on: December 07, 2022, 09:17:50 am »

I see Dwarves remain children until 18 in 50.01 (as opposed to 12 up until now).

Increasing the age seems to be a case of "it was inevitable", so not gonna argue that. But 18 seems awfully high. Twelve seems a lot more "medieval themed fantasy game" to me. Maybe 16 as Google says that's when medieval humans could become soldiers. Dwarves live longer than humans, so perhaps it's all just reasonable.

Just updating my mods and found myself wavering over updating from 12 to 18, wonder if anyone has any thoughts on medieval society or general trends in fantasy RPGs these days? Six extra years of damn kids running around the fortress isn't too appealing. And it's my mod, I don't have whatever pressures Toady is under. (Humans increased from 12 to 18 too).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 10:00:01 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On late maturing dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 10:01:56 am »

I suppose the problem is that in real life one does not simply wake up as an adult one day. There's a period of time when you go from "kid playing make believe - kid who thinks he can hang out with the real soldiers - kid who people smirk at while he looks so stern on guard duty - guy who looks young but has that stare that you don't want to mess with ever since the day he had to take out half the platoon and most of his friends as they turned were-panda...".

And until we get a version of the game with a more gradual, individualized maturity of dwarves (and humans), that period is likely (to my mind) better covered by "adult" than "child" since the child cannot take part in adult activities. So Twelve. Or Fifteen. Something like that...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 10:28:57 am »

Increasing the age seems to be a case of "it was inevitable", so not gonna argue that. But 18 seems awfully high. Twelve seems a lot more "medieval themed fantasy game" to me. Maybe 16 as Google says that's when medieval humans could become soldiers.

I guess what was considered an "adult" depended on the situation? Like, at what age one was eligible for marriage (varied), apprenticeship (I think this could start as early as 7?), work, becoming a priest or even a monarch (21 in some cases?) weren't the same.

Personally I'm probably going to mod back adulthood beginning at 12 (I do understand why it was changed).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 01:03:49 pm »

Yeah, a lot of the changes and hotkeys feel rather questionable, including this one. I somewhat understand the reasoning, but from a gameplay standpoint its not a good decision.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 01:25:50 pm »

Notably, it seems to have been broadly applied across all standard races rather than just dwarves.

My guess is that it was just Toady being paranoid about Steam rules for this sort of thing. After all, that age isn't just used to determine when someone can join the military, but also when they can get married and give birth.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:28:09 pm by LuuBluum »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 01:51:59 pm »

There are more options for child labor now, so it's not entirely bad.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 07:13:45 pm »

There are more options for child labor now, so it's not entirely bad.

You can even enforce that children never age up till 100 for a genuine dwarf experience just to get the intern-labor.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 07:36:46 pm »

Well even if 12 is a reasonable number for humans, with how long dwarves live surely an allowance for a longer childhood can be made
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 07:45:56 pm »

Well even if 12 is a reasonable number for humans, with how long dwarves live surely an allowance for a longer childhood can be made
Sure, right now all races mature at the same age (12 previously, 18 now) so possibly not a thing in Dwarf Fortress.

I saw a D&D forum which also says their dwarves mature at the same age as humans but they are longer lived (and live twice as long as DF dorfs).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 08:05:39 pm »

yeah. this is the kind of unavoidable thing that the "for sale" sign brings to the game.. it's all language games anyways.