Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Actual Accessibility: The Tiny Font Size Must Go  (Read 477 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Actual Accessibility: The Tiny Font Size Must Go
« on: December 09, 2022, 07:15:50 pm »

Even if, unlike me, you don't have a visual disability, its ridiculous - genuinely absurd - that in 2022 with a whole new graphics update no thought was seemingly given to the average human's ability to read tiny text or to have a properly scalable UI. In our world where large 4K monitors are rapidly becoming the default among gamers there need o be options to make that text at least four times the size it is now. Especially give, I suspect, that DF's demographics trends older and is going to have less and less patience for squinting at tiny font sizes.

Am I wrong, or is Truetype no longer available in this version?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Actual Accessibility: The Tiny Font Size Must Go
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 07:25:59 pm »

there need o be options to make that text at least four times the size it is now
There is literally an option in the video settings to increase the UI size by up to 400%, though it seems to work strangely with some of the other options.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 07:44:10 pm »

There is literally an option in the video settings to increase the UI size by up to 400%, though it seems to work strangely with some of the other options.

It really, really doesn't work.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 08:35:18 pm »

What happens if you set the 2 options before that one to their minimum?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 11:36:58 pm »

What happens if you set the 2 options before that one to their minimum?

As far as I can tell I can make the UI wider and blurrier—I cannot meaningful make any text larger, but then in classic Dwarf Fortress fashion its the most inscrutable goddamn menu I've ever seen so maybe I just don't grok its murky depths,

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 01:53:54 am »

I need this too.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 03:31:27 am »

+1. again, this UI mistake is echoed in Rimworld, which ALSO suffers from the same issue, where you can upscale the UI to read the text but then the UI becomes disgustingly unfunctional. DF has contributed to my eyesight loss over the years, but there is no reason for that to continue