Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatically apply CUT_X to objects when defining them  (Read 225 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Automatically apply CUT_X to objects when defining them
« on: December 02, 2022, 04:15:47 am »

So apparently, in the new release one can do:
Code: [Select]
[CUT_CREATURE:DRAGON]
[CREATURE:DRAGON]

So it's possible to overwrite a creature, and thus avoid duplicate raw errors.

But it seems like it would make sense to automatically apply the function of [CUT_CREATURE:DRAGON] whenever [CREATURE:DRAGON] is used, since there seems to be no desirable outcome of using CREATURE without CUT_CREATURE, in a situation where multiple mods may have named the same object ID. The only possible downside I could imagine is maybe a performance hit from doing this on the first defined version of an object (ie vanilla).

I'm assuming this isn't already the case, because of an answer in the AMA indicating that duplicate raws are still a problem, just that it's possible to avoid them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/z82m0g/im_tarn_adams_aka_toady_one_dwarf_fortress/iyag2mx/?context=3
Are duplicated raws still a problem (as in, breaking everything), or do mods later in the loading order that use the same ID for an object (eg, a mod that uses CREATURE:DWARF, without disabling the vanilla files) replace/overwrite the definition in previous mods/vanilla?
It's the same. A difference now at least is that you could do a select and delete to remove old entries with an intervening mod if you like.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 04:57:08 am by Mr Crabman »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically apply CUT_X to objects when defining them
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 08:41:53 pm »

(FOTF response mentions this is explicitly being considered anyway--easily the fastest suggestion-thread-to-potential-implementation turnover I've seen in my time)