Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adv mode: L-screen tells you how big creatures are compared to yourself  (Read 273 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Size matters a lot for combat in adv mode.

But sometimes I am not sure how big my character is, and I also sometimes am not sure how big the opponent is.

Like I wanted to train wrestling on a monitor lizard for instance. I don't know what a monitor lizard it, and I figured they were probably mini-lizards, but turns out they're twice as big as a dwarf :)

There's a lot of animals in the game, and you can't be expected to know how big they all are. And with experiments I don't even know HOW you can know the size of them?

IMO you should be able to see at a glance if an creature is bigger than yourself or not, and not have to carry the encyclopedia "Animal sizes: Facts and Fiction." in your pocket to look up the sizes of animals that are standing right in front of you. :)

I suggest that the look-menu where you get the description "he has blue eyes, he has a jagged scar " etc, you add a sentence at the end describing it's size relative to you: "He is about twice your size" or "He is way smaller than you", and so on.

Maybe in brackets: 0%-25% difference, 26%-50% difference, 51%-100% difference, +100% difference.

It would remove some breaks in the gameplay to look up the sizes of creatures in the wiki.

I'm sure newer players die a lot on this as well and get wrecked after attacking stuff 5 times bigger than them without even knowing that size matter.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Adv mode: L-screen tells you how big creatures are compared to yourself
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:04:32 am »

Maybe also apply this to items.

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adv mode: L-screen tells you how big creatures are compared to yourself
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 06:45:57 pm »

Honestly a comparison like this would be useful for fortress mode aswell (comparing to an average adult dwarf), as for size comparison, i reccomend in this order
1.25x- 3x bigger - large compared to you/a dwarf
3x-10x bigger - hulking compared to you/ a dwarf
10x-50x bigger - huge compared to you/a dwarf
50x-500x bigger - monstrously large compared to you/a dwarf
500x-2000x - absolutely massive compared to you/a dwarf
And no more than 2-3 options for smaller stuff
0.8x-0.5x - smaller compared
0.5x-0.3x - puny compared
0.3 and lower - tiny compared