Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redownloaded the game after a few years  (Read 911 times)

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
Redownloaded the game after a few years
« on: November 27, 2022, 01:06:43 pm »

Played a year, stayed up till 5am. Got a necromancer in my first migrant wave and made him my Baron because why not. Now I have a necrocracy and I'm gonna need to micromanage the meat industry. Any tips on avoiding a zombie plague/forcing this guy to drink booze?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Redownloaded the game after a few years
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 05:28:35 pm »

You could try giving him a private bar with a hired poisoner bartender for the booze issue if you keep him loose. My usual method with undead nobles is walled off rooms with everything they could desire on the inside. They become very slow and steady bookkeepers, and wander their vast rooms at their leasure, occasionally turning into weregiraffes and banging their head on the ceiling. I presume necromancers also don't need food?

Also welcome back, it's great and I'm glad you're having fun :)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

LadyBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Used to be LordBrassroast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 06:15:02 pm »

I've burrowed him away from the butchery and the tombs, but I made the tombs on the same level as his apartments for the aesthetic, so that may bite me in the ass

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 07:40:30 pm »

Wonder if there's a way to make a semi-permeable membrane which dwarves can get through but zombies can't. Then you could have your tomb double as his manor filled with zombies of your dead to keep him company, and then he can also escape to his own private tavern with a living poisoner. That sounds like a worthy challenge to me!

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 09:49:17 pm »

I've burrowed him away from the butchery and the tombs, but I made the tombs on the same level as his apartments for the aesthetic, so that may bite me in the ass

So long as he cannot see the Tombs, this is not a Problem as Necromancy is a Line-of-Sight Power.

In Theory, so long as he never got mixed up in Combat he could could even live among the Tombs without Incident, but We do not particularly recommend this.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 02:58:50 am »

yeah, my current fort had several necromancers, as long as they never enter combat they never raise any corpses. But once they do, youll regret everything.

Two of them had to be exiled as well because they were slowly becoming mad. A tavernkeeper helps a bit, as does having close friends they can chat with. I tried to get the two of them to marry but they never became lovers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 09:35:38 am »

yeah, my current fort had several necromancers, as long as they never enter combat they never raise any corpses. But once they do, youll regret everything.

Two of them had to be exiled as well because they were slowly becoming mad. A tavernkeeper helps a bit, as does having close friends they can chat with. I tried to get the two of them to marry but they never became lovers.
they were too..... warm for eachother

AllomancerJak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 06:00:31 pm »

A few years back, I tried to fill my military with necromancers. The results were... predictable.

I started incinerating corpses, and things are mostly better. There's still a room filled with zombie giant hedgehogs that I don't dare open.

Moral for me was that it's great to keep some necromancers around if you destroy refuse and keep them indoors when you can. I can't get them to drink, but some are still pretty happy.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 08:13:33 pm »

I also have a necromancer. He is my captain of the guard, because he came with some scheming skill.

I have a special room where I put the corpses of dwarves that died, but aren't mangled. A manera scares my necromancer, and he brings the dwarf back to life as a doomed ghoul. I have seven of them so far.

I've also created a drowning/reanimation chamber for the creation and capture of zombies. Why do I need hundreds of zombies? Why wouldn't I?