Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to buy bolts.  (Read 814 times)

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where to buy bolts.
« on: April 16, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

Where? I cant find them
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Naminator4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy bolts.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

You can't buy them, you must hunt for them in Kobold or Goblin forts.

If you're suicidal, hunt for them in Dwarf Forts.

hat''s it for now.

Aflac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

Or you could use cheat-o-matic...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

I very much think that if bolts aren't available in the 'general stores' in towns, they damned well should be!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

Bolts and arrows definitely need to be made available, and need to be produced over time.  Of course, there's also the strategic element you need to consider; if you can get all of the arrows you'll ever need, the balance goes through the attic ceiling because there's no more strategy to choose an archer character.  You can just carry thousands of arrows and have access to one of the most deadly piercing weapons in the game at ranges well in excess of a single screen.

I've stopped using archer characters until arrows are stocked.

(I tend to tweak the data/raw file for arrows to halve the arrow's damage.  Arrows don't inflict lots of damage -- the damage they do is because they pierce organs, and even at half damage they're still pretty lethal against living targets.  But you can shoot a zombie until the cows come home, and it'll just keep on walking.)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

I divided arrow damage by 10 and liked the results.

Getting archers to join your party is one effective way to get more ammo. Of course, it's not long before they shoot all their arrows and become a ridiculous bow-basher, but they usually get killed quickly, leaving a good part of their ammo for you.

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

Maybe the production of bolts shoulld be limited, because of...I don't know, the lack of competent craftsmen/dwarves ?