Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many goblins, do you think, can a steel-clad 10-dwarf squad take on a raze?  (Read 793 times)

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm asking this question in order to try to create some parameter for measuring the likelihood of razing sucess. So far, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure it out.

Because there are almost infinite variables (on both sides), I think if we could reach an agreement as a "steel clad, 10 dwarf squad" being the proper tool for measurement, we can create rules of thumb as to gauge the likelihood of a raze being sucessfull.

I'm using the mission "raze" as opposed to "raiding" because I believe raiding can be a more sneaky, therefore harder to measure, mission. A single dwarf could potentially be sucessfull raiding, while I believe a raze mission to be a direct confrontation, therefore more measurable.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this calls for science.

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Far more than you would expect. It truly comes down to training. Large scale battles happen as a series of 1v1s afaik. A well trained (legendary) steel clad dwarf is stronger than 99% of whatever you will find, so they can solo dozens of goblins, only falling to accumulating too many tiny wounds. This is also why dragons or bronze colossi can take out entire civs in world gen. Be careful when raiding though, animals aren’t displayed in the number count, and goblins have a leader who is much stronger than the average steel clad legendary warrior

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

This is also why dragons or bronze colossi can take out entire civs in world gen. Be careful when raiding though, animals aren’t displayed in the number count

This also works the other way around. Large war animals, like elephants and rhinos, assigned to soldiers are much more deadly on a raid than they are in the fort.