Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost my first fortress to my Necromancer Mayor... I think.  (Read 1022 times)

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lost my first fortress to my Necromancer Mayor... I think.
« on: October 18, 2022, 09:00:27 pm »

So, I had a Necromancer Mayor. He was nice. I just let him be.

I had 30 axe dwarves sparring constantly in the barracks. There was peace.

Eventually, the barracks turn into an absolute bloodbath. There are so many reports, announcements, and I'm still trying to figure out what happened in Legends View. But essentially, everyone died. Since there are so many reanimated reports, I'm assuming the Necromancer had something to do with it.

Could it be that a dwarf accidentally killed another, the Necro ressurected the dead, starting the never ending cycle of bloodshed? Are Necromancers ever safe to have in the Fortress, or best to be avoided?

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my first fortress to my Necromancer Mayor... I think.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 09:07:35 pm »

In Legends Viewer, I think I tracked down the cycle of violence to:

In 252, early winter, (19th of Moonstone) the dwarf Tekkud Magicrags bled to death, slain by Ineth in Sackgem.

Though I'm not sure why Ineth would murder him. After that, I believe it became a bloodbath of constant ressurections and 30 axe, well armed dwarves killing eachother and spilling over the entire fort. Fun.

Kasmodahn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 02:38:51 pm »

hey :)

nice to hear you found a FUN way to decorate your fort in a stylish red (i guess)

perhaps your Dwarf got hit while sparring and died to the efforts the other Dwarf put into his own training.
Well at least there is a chance of sparring soldiers to get hit when training.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 02:45:51 am »

Necromancers are only safe so long as they never get scared, and are never exposed to anything dead. So, not really safe, in a normal fortress, no. I tend to trap mine in any of the caverns, and leave them there.

Seeing a friend killed in a sparring match might have terrified your necromancer, I guess, and then he might have raised the dead out of fear.... Or it could have been a more convoluted result. Either way, places where necromancers get scared are not safe places to be.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 09:25:20 am »

I believe it was a loyalty cascade, which is bad enough, but when you have a Necromancer around it gets Chernobyl-levels of messed up.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 05:36:01 pm »

This reminds me of the time I made a fort near a necromancer tower.  Necromancers would come and drink at my tavern.  Inevitably, a fight started, which caused the necros to animate body parts that were laying around from a recent siege, which somehow caused a loyalty cascade that ended up with 2/3rds of my dwarves slain.

The Red Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 10:37:09 pm »

Yup. Necros are bad. Never let them in, unless you plan on walling them for eternal bookkeeping or something. Never let them roam free or, Chernobyl.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 12:43:46 pm »

Yup. Necros are bad. Never let them in, unless you plan on walling them for eternal bookkeeping or something. Never let them roam free or, Chernobyl.

WTF?!
They're Great!*
IFF you force everyone to become a necro.

You would be amazed how well a fort of 20 necros does, since you no longer need an active military.
The undead will protect you forever.

It's a lot of work, takes forever, and so much harder than making a vampire fortress using a well, but it's a FUN!
Also makes trade much more difficult.
And raids... well, your legion of undead can't do those.
And there is the NO_DRINK problem to consider.

*(for massive challenge and FUN)

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 11:23:19 pm »

WTF?!
They're Great!*
IFF you force everyone to become a necro.

You would be amazed how well a fort of 20 necros does, since you no longer need an active military.
The undead will protect you forever.

It's a lot of work, takes forever, and so much harder than making a vampire fortress using a well, but it's a FUN!
Also makes trade much more difficult.
And raids... well, your legion of undead can't do those.
And there is the NO_DRINK problem to consider.

*(for massive challenge and FUN)
Why not just have a vampire fort with a necro mayor/baron/undying-emperor?