Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make all attackers work like ambushes (hidden until discovered by citizens)  (Read 359 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

I saw this mentioned in the recent Blind interview, and wanted to echo that idea here.

Werebeasts and kobolds (or "ambushes" in general) are invisible until a dwarf spots them (and you get no announcement until them), and I suggest this should apply for all the other invasion types; megabeasts, titans, forgotten beasts, and sieges alike. Maybe random animals/cavern creatures as well (no announcement for them though).

It would be both realistic simulation-wise, and !FUN!; imagine keeping guards posted somewhere in a tower see an invasion coming before they're already at your doors, or wandering into another section of the caverns and being attacked by a forgotten beast that you had no idea was already lurking just around the corner.

The announcement could possibly happen before they are spotted via line of sight, in the following ways:

- If justified by them being loud, like "making a racket by marching or banging war-drums, or roaring/stomping things" or something. But the announcement would be vague/only mention what is actually heard, not say specifically "the goblins are here" unless the sound is recognizable/identifiable by your citizens. The marching of goblins is little different to that of humans after all.
- If you received rumor that an invasion was on its way, you will get an announcement on the day they were projected (by the rumor) to arrive, reminding you that an attack is expected any time now.

You will of course get a second more definitive announcement once the attack is confirmed.

As for the issue Tarn mentioned of creatures "flickering in and out of view" when they repeatedly enter and exit the field of view when they're near the edge (which would be a bit weird/aesthetically displeasing), this could be solved either:

- The way he considered in the interview (only hiding them until they're first spotted, and then keeping them visible from then on).

- By putting an appropriate "countdown" for how long they must be out of view until they are hidden again (this would have the bonus of making it possible to "lose" enemies and worry about them hiding in some currently empty hallway). Also checking how far they are able to pathfind (so that they don't become stealthed again after you trap them in a small chamber of your fort, since you know where they are). Note that's how far they are ABLE to go; if they have a tunnel off to the caverns, it would make sense for them to vanish, even if they actually do stay in the room. Some kind of check for how big their "connectivity map" or whatever it's called.

My vote personally is for the second option.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:46:39 pm by Mr Crabman »

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile

It would be interesting if some factions would send a messenger demanding surrender or something as a prelude to an attack.
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one