Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Africa thread  (Read 5991 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Africa thread
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2024, 07:27:32 pm »

Reform also won't happen until there is enough of an ethical base within the general populace to support an ethical leader. Until that happens, every new administration will be full of grifters because foreign "investors" will help to empower grifters.

Also, I was reminded of this Daily Show clip.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2024, 05:42:37 am »

feelo, I don't know why you keep insulting me, or misinterpreting things.

This appeared to me to be a disaster in the making. You are welcome for the warning. It looked like a setup to get knocked down, and I posted about it to help someone with feelings like you. Frankly though I'm done responding to you altogether. Have fun twistin' I guess
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2024, 02:59:44 pm »

Except it turned out not to be a disaster at all.  The protests achieved their initial specific aim - the finance bill was revoked, at least for now.  Without the continued protests it would have undoubtedly passed.  Arguably the protest movement also took a small step towards building the ethical base anewaname mentioned.  That the Kenyan government went the murdering/disappearing people route is nothing new and not something that the protestors can be held responsible for.  In the bigger picture reform from within the system in Kenya is currently blocked so the the only options are to accept or protest.

Since you insist on persisting with the conspiracy theories: who was it that made the 'setup'?  (I figure you'll just ignore this question like a bunch of others I've asked but it's worth a try.)

Edit: Lastest news from Kenya indicates even greater success
Kenyan president sacks cabinet after anti-tax protests

Edit2: This one goes into a bit more detail about what the protestors have been demanding (and recieving) politically:
Big win for Gen Z as Ruto dissolves Cabinet
The tldr; lots of cleaning up of government corruption.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 08:14:18 pm by feelotraveller »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2024, 06:51:39 am »

Ok

You win

I was never able to accomplish anything useful doing this kind of work.

I quit.

I wish you all the best and more succes than I had in all parts of life.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2024, 03:27:23 pm »

lol internet arguments. Uh, I don't really quite feel like reading all that? I'm aware this might sound like me jumping in to question another person's legitimacy or something, but it really is just an idea I had on seeing the Africa Thread. I'll go back through another time and check out the discussion so far :)

Are there any primary sources living (or have lived) in Africa that wanna talk about what's going on there? There's a lot of political motion on the continent, but i've been so consumed with US election cycle bullshit the past year or so that outside of very notable North Africa stuff I don't know shit about the continent.

If you live there, where ya from, how are things for you, what kind of things do you think are important or that you're worried about?

If you lived there, where'd ya live, how was your time there, what'd you get up to, what things were important or worried you?

No expectations or anything, but I think that'd be a good thread to add to the overall Africa Thread :)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2024, 08:31:53 pm »

Are there any primary sources living (or have lived) in Africa that wanna talk about what's going on there?

Yeah, it'd be great.  I'm not sure that such sources exist on the forum.  Barring that I reckon the best option is to try to prioritise links to primary sources from africans.  (Africa is a big, diverse place, though.)

There are a couple of videos contained in this article (from today) which give some voice to a couple of kenyan activists https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/7/16/new-antigovernment-protests-kick-off-in-kenya-with-calls-for-ruto-to-quit - enough to give a bit of a taste of what it is like there at the moment.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2024, 04:24:54 pm »

Are there any primary sources living (or have lived) in Africa that wanna talk about what's going on there?

Yeah, it'd be great.  I'm not sure that such sources exist on the forum.  Barring that I reckon the best option is to try to prioritise links to primary sources from africans.  (Africa is a big, diverse place, though.)

There are a couple of videos contained in this article (from today) which give some voice to a couple of kenyan activists https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/7/16/new-antigovernment-protests-kick-off-in-kenya-with-calls-for-ruto-to-quit - enough to give a bit of a taste of what it is like there at the moment.

TY For the links my friend :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]