Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If Bay12 Controlled XCOM  (Read 644 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
If Bay12 Controlled XCOM
« on: September 05, 2022, 08:57:08 am »

How would you run it if it existed and actually had some opposable aliens to fight?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay12 Controlled XCOM
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 09:22:34 am »

...into the ground.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 04:02:28 am »

We are so fucked.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 06:15:04 am »

Blasting to the UFO: ennemy unknown OST on the boombox, it is our only piece of equipment, we're generally in dissarray and unless the invaders are like in mars attacks we're fucked.
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 07:41:22 am »

I swap the OST with meme songs and YTPMV's.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:31:32 am »

I think we may have had either an LP or some forum games regarding this very subject!
A lot of people and aliens die either way
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 10:18:37 am »

The one rule is lasers-only.  Yes, from the start, humans have had laser guns for decades!  The tricky part is getting the aliums to put on the vests, but I think the smoothest play is to just present it as "a get together with friends" or "interspecies outreach".  If that goes well, *then* you ask (or are asked!) about an actual date...

This might not work if the aliums are legitimately hostile, but at least that gets us X-Piratez.  ...In most ways a rather dire world, but plenty of xenodating!

A serious approach...  Gosh, I don't know.  The XCOM setting is extremely arbitrary, requiring a lot of "we just don't know" or "a space-wizard did it" to work.  I find myself thinking of the video game Fate of the World, where essentially the UN has to convince/cajole/bribe the nations of the world into cooperating against the mundane but real threats we face as a species.  Trying to end war, poverty, climate change and peak oil.  A game both darkly humorous and somewhat hopeful, if cynical.

That makes me think that a "realistic" XCOM experience would be like the lore we see in X-Piratez or X-COM Files, and probably Terra Invicta.  Using infiltration and terror to destabilize our world governments until they *choose* to become vassals.

The most effective methods to resist colonialism are outside my knowledge, but it IS something we've done quite a bit of research on in recent history.  Maybe we can at least negotiate a less-shitty deal.

I would rush lasers of course, and drone technology!  Drones might sound like a security risk, but aliums seem to have NO understanding of electronic warfare, only psionic.  Perhaps they don't even know what radio is!  Hence heavy weapon platforms (HWPs) draw plasma fire away from our brave soldiers, they're completely immune to enemy control.

Managing the populace is a complicated topic and I'm out of time, so I'd uh... IDK... invent a fake pandemic with lockdowns
(JFC I feel dirty even making that joke XD)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 05:49:52 pm »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 09:48:04 pm »

I WILL achieve the necessary steps to marry a Viper.
Gigachad
Max avatar size is 80x80

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 10:26:52 pm »

Some of you may die, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 02:50:49 am »

I finally figured out how to kill the aliens, we use bigger guns and if the aliens don't die we make even bigger guns to try again, we keep repeating this until we make a gun big enough to kill them!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 05:39:39 am »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:53 pm »

How would you run it if it existed and actually had some opposable aliens to fight?
109% chance to hit
Miss