Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to increase brewing complexity? [Help?]  (Read 735 times)

Drakonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to increase brewing complexity? [Help?]
« on: August 26, 2022, 09:05:07 pm »

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I found about DF, read the wiki, the forums, etc. But play-wise I think I haven't accrued more than 8-10h. But even though I'm a noob. I've been thinking of something for the past week or two.

What if we could use some neat mechanics already implemented into DF to increase the complexity of brewing and make it more realistic?

Before posting here I did some search and found nothing similar to what I'll describe below. Most suggestions to make brewing more realistic involved aging (which I didn't even consider before the searches, but will try to think of something regarding that later).

So, without stretching it any further... Here's what I've thought of (and would like some help/pointers to implement).

For starters, IRL brewing and distillation are separate processes. And even though brewing might take only a few hours of labor to produce wort. It takes considerable time to ferment the wort to produce alcohol. And that my fellow dwarves, is the issue I wish to tackle.

What I've come up to keep things as simple as possible while trying to increase realism is what I’d call: A (Basic) Realistic Brewer's Mod
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After the basic implementations, which should increase DF difficulty by a bit, there are a few "upgrades" that I have in mind to increase realism and difficulty a little further. I'll split those below according to theme/categories.

Wine x Spirits Distinction

Water

Fuel

Methanol

Aging

Yeast

Skills

So, that’s it guys… Thank you for reading this far. Any and all kind of help/advice/input/criticism is appreciated.
Maybe i’ll get it done by Christmas (The basics at least) or by the end of the next year.
Maybe many will flock and embrace brewing as a community project.
Maybe The Great Toady One Himself will take notice and implement those officially after he’s done with the Arena in the Premium version (One can dream right?)

Anyways, it feels good to get it all out there. Whatever may come of it. (Now into making that other more elvish thread about Wood)