Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding weapons and armor  (Read 1205 times)

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding weapons and armor
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:17:00 pm »

I think it's probably impossible to completely mod the weapon effects, because so many improvised weapons are not listed, and there's no distinction in the mod data for throwing, but throwing seems to be much more powerful than using something as a hand weapon (which I guess is a code bug rather than a damage data problem).

However, I gave it a shot, figuring I could just not throw things, and the AI probably wouldn't either. So I made a few tweaks, added a few weapons and armor entries, and changed the arrows and bolts for example form damage:100 to damage:15 and damage:10 respectively, reloaded the game and returned to the place where my entire elite party with shields and armor had just been massacred by a couple of goblins with bows before they could close the range by more than a few steps. Returning with my new party, we made it through the open ground and my new sword/chain/shield dwarf was just rounding a corner when he was shot through the major organs and mortally wounded by the first arrow that hit him, from a goblin some distance away in the dark. Not dead yet, I had him throw the spare warhammer he had in his backpack (what, no delay to do something with my sword and get a warhammer out of a backpack and throw it, and then get my sword back in hand???). My swordsdwarf has no skill in throwing at all, but I'm peeved, so I target the eyes in the dark and WHAM! Goblin smashed, he crumples to the ground immediately. Ok, well that was satisfying! Seemed awfully easy though. I guess the hit was lucky.

It seems like the modded arrow damage has no noticeable effect on the lethality of arrows, though. I see that reloading the game does seem to have "recompiled" the RAW data, but does it not really have an effect on the equipment in the game in progress until I recreate a new world?

Or is it just that there is a bug where anything thrown is extremely deadly no matter what the mod data is set to?

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding weapons and armor
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »

Maybe that only changed the damage of stabbing with it, as opposed to firing it? I haven't tried wielding an arrow yet, but it can probably be done.

Somagu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »

Well I'm tired as I read this, but I think you may have to make a new world to see the effects.

tourettedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »

Yeah, the changes from the RAW files are only included in a world when it's rebuilt.  Do "generate new world" and you'll see the wimpy arrows.

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »

I had the same problem. I had played a human for about 45 minutes building up his skills as a hammerman, got him to 2800 in wirestling and about 1200+ for armor shield and hammer. I also cleared out a ruin and bought myself a superior hammer and armor, the one with the three lines (like = but with 3).I walked into a deserted cave full of goblins which I made short work of. As soon as I walked down some steps after clearing out the upper level I was dead! Checked the logs and my character was ripped apart by an arrow through the upper body and another one through my head(I think). Now when I get a chance ill go in and mod the arrow and bolt damages and recomplie a new map.

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 11:21:00 pm »

Making a new world did get my mod changes in. I'm not sure how well the arrow damage adjustment worked. I only saw a few arrows and they seemed reasonable though. No way to fix the evil deadliness of thrown objects (and weapons), but I think that's just a code bug. I did manage to get a bunch of new weapons and stuff in and get used in the new world. However it seems impossible to make any weapon be two-handed except the pike. Also, I ended up having crashes after a while - not sure if it was my mods, or something to do with dropped equipment and inventory.

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »

Ok, I finally got to test some of the effects of modding arrows. I am pretty happy with the results of having modded arrows from 100 damage down to 10 damage. Now, some arrows get deflected if they hit armor, while other arrows pierce and wound, and some arrows still do deadly damage. Arrows still frequently take out light targets like wolves in one shot.