Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer experiments going /badly/ awry  (Read 605 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
Necromancer experiments going /badly/ awry
« on: August 30, 2022, 02:07:31 pm »

Necromancers, when creating new or mutated creatures, could possibly create creatures that are not just mindless or rebellious - but are violent towards all parties, with strength comparable to that of a megabeast.

An example of this could be a "Molten Flesh" type creature, similar to the creatures seen in When Day Breaks from the SCP lore. A viscous, sentient blob of flesh that turns all creatures into itself upon contact, with its only desire being to spread and assimilate itself further. Additions such as this would make playing as a necromancer (once it is further expanded upon) MUCH more interesting, while also solving an issue with current Necromancers - when they gather tens of thousands of undead in their tower and wind up unstoppable. Of course, at this point, now you'd have a massive, constantly growing mound of hundreds of minds and bodies trying their hardest to squeeze through every inch of your fortress and add you to its whole...

... but it's pretty fun that way :>
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG
Re: Necromancer experiments going /badly/ awry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2022, 09:19:05 pm »

Of course, at this point, now you'd have a massive, constantly growing mound of hundreds of minds and bodies trying their hardest to squeeze through every inch of your fortress and add you to its whole...

... but it's pretty fun that way :>

That actually sounds like it would be a fun (Both kinds of fun!) type of challenge. But I'm not sure if the game could handle that many entities pathfinding at the same time.

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer experiments going /badly/ awry
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 01:09:20 pm »

Oh, yeah - I mainly mean a sort of situation where a singular tile entity has more and more sub-segments or more and more strength the more creatures are absorbed into it. Possibly creating a few sub-entities if it grows big enough (maybe 10-20 max)

Edit - Another idea could possibly be making that kind of creature have many smaller individuals, but with each of them having an incredibly flimsy AI. There is only one primary entity with a more powerful AI, which can dictate a point that the subcreatures make a bee line to. The others simply move forward and attack. I'm not too well-versed in how Dwarf Fort functions internally, so this may not work at all - just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 01:13:19 pm by Sky-Streamer »
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG