Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Font Tilesets  (Read 1210 times)

blitz4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Font Tilesets
« on: July 06, 2022, 05:17:01 am »

Hi. Here's the wiki link: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository

At the very bottom, a font by DragonDePlatino. In the forum thread it states, take your horizontal resolution / 5 = tileset width / 16 = tilesize
In the wiki page, it seems there's quite a bit of tilesets not listed, not each version is listed, it's not clear as I mentioned, in the wiki about the resolution either, plus if the tile is measured HxW or WxH isn't clear either. Just things to consider is all. These details you learn over time right?

16x = 720p
24x = 1080p
32x = 1440p
48x = 4k

What I don't understand. Why the need for square tilesets? Is there some monitor resolution that makes them look better than non-square?

Also. TWBT doesn't support TTF. That means, must use a fixed-width font. Cool, easily done with one image file for the font tileset. But I'm confused why many of the images listed fonts in the wiki use Serif's. When typing this post, I'm using a sans-serif font. Per the webpage it states I'm using "verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" and since I have Verdana installed on this computer, it is likely that. For example, in the wiki for 1080p, or 24x tilesets, there's Terminus24, Curses and    Kyzsmooth. That doesn't list for example, Vector_square below that which on the forum page does list a 24x font, but is based on Curses. Anyway, the 3 fonts, one is sans-serif, two are serif fonts. Why is that? Why are 2/3 of the options a serif font? Is it just a matter of not all font's being listed in the wiki or listed properly or is it something else?

I'm looking to create a font for Ubuntu Mono 1080p, I don't see one listed on the wiki and didn't find one via searching. I'd want it listed in the wiki as an option alongside the others. How many 24x (or larger) fonts & 24x font variations aren't listed on that wiki page but are in these forums? (Over 85% of computers use a 1080p+ monitor per Steam HW Survey)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Font Tilesets
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 07:48:50 pm »

Why the need for square tilesets? Is there some monitor resolution that makes them look better than non-square?
No, many people just prefer square tilesets because the tiles in the game are square, and when they make an 8x8 room it doesn't look like a 8x12 room.

plus if the tile is measured HxW or WxH isn't clear either
It's quite clear just looking at the tileset image - even a 5x6 tileset is obviously taller than it is wide.

In the forum thread it states, take your horizontal resolution / 5 = tileset width / 16 = tilesize
The game (currently) has a requirement that the game screen be at least 80 columns wide, so any tileset with tiles wider than horizontal-resolution/80 will get scaled down to fit. 5 x 16 = 80 - not sure why DragonDePlatino stated it that way, I guess because when you go to make a tileset, whatever app you use will ask how large to make the tileset image.

In the upcoming premium release, the graphical tileset will be a square 32px, and (IIRC) the 80 character minimum width will go away.

The wiki is maintained by community members in their free time - clearly no body has cared enough to monitor every tileset forum post, and the tileset makers don't want, or at least care about, their work being on there. It is also hosted by community members, and having them rehost every tileset ever made is not really ideal, especially the large ones.

Edit: also there this Tool to generate text tilesets, which you might find useful.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 07:58:47 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

blitz4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Font Tilesets
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 03:15:07 am »

That makes sense. Thanks. You answered everything I was concerned or curious about. Yes, it generally was to make sure the page on the wiki is ready for the premium release, as I thought existing tilesets would be compatible. And I haven't seen the page updated in a while, plus there's so many great tilesets that many miss out by only using the wiki or what's in the Starter Packs. For example, DragonDePlatino's has different sizes listed in the forums, and I just learned having the proper size for your monitor keeps from having to scale the entire UI to accomidate. Scaling the UI messes with more than the experience, it also makes doing things like borderless fullscreen more difficult.

It's something I care about, I'll do what I can and update the page over time and make it easy for the Starter pack maintainers to show users in as little effort as possible. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: broken link
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:16:43 am by blitz4 »