Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beyind animal men - animal animals! Enter the hippo-ostrich.  (Read 860 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just thinking how the concept of animal men (btw better named animal people) could be extended to creating combinations of all possible cross combinations of animals and not limit it to cobining human and animal.

The suffix determines the head type and the prefix determines body type which also determines behavior and psychology.

A penguin-elephant is then a creature with the head of a penguin and the body and behavior of an elephant.

An elephant-penguin is a creature with the head of an elephant and the body and behavior of a penguin.

And so on with crab-pythons, hippo-ostrich and so on. I'd like to have all combinations being possibilities.

Am thinking like experiments if should change from world to world which ones get created and probably there should just be like max 10 of species of these kinds of creatures. So IDK if a god or somebody else decides to make some penguin-elephants, and then they escape and live in the area an elephant would normally live.

In fort mode it should be possible to tame them, breed them and butcher them like any other animal.

The benefits are: They's make each world more unique. You'd increase the number of existing creatures, and many of these creatures would allow for a good laugh.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:28:37 am by Orange-of-Cthulhu »

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beyind animal men - animal animals! Enter the hippo-ostrich.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 05:11:42 pm »

I can’t help but post:

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:47:02 pm »

This sounds like it would ultimately be a lot like the already suggested creature interbreeding and hybridization, where different species, say dwarves and goblins, could produce hybrid offspring in-game. It's an idea that gets punted down the road every once in a while because it would be so huge a task to tackle, even though it's something Toady wanted to do.

I've been slowly making various types of chimera for my Spellcrafts mod, which are beasts made of multiple combined creatures, and that's a chore too. I started with a material and tissue template set including every tissue and material common to animals in the game, so the basic lion-goat-snake chimera could have scales and furry skin etc, there was going to be a scorpion-bear and I actually did a kangaroo owl scorpion. Takes forever, lots of weird bugs
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 01:28:20 pm »

I think this would work great if humanoid is not the default body type for civilized races in some worlds. So a world could be default insectoid and you get all the animal variants for them. All other humanoid beings like night creatures would also adopt.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 04:46:24 pm »

Ooh that's a great idea!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.