Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Am I the only person who seriously dislikes the latest Doctor Who?  (Read 3710 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only person who seriously dislikes the latest Doctor Who?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2022, 05:13:03 am »

Thanks for clarifying that.  Hopefully, I can remember it.  :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2022, 08:43:06 am »

Interesting to note then that Tennant and Tate are being brought into a forthcoming special, I think they said, c/o Russell T Davies.

No real details if they'll be there as an N Doctors[1], so far as I can see, it could be as little as a flashback storyline, but it seems easy to imagine a Ten and Donna temporary timestream-crossover event or even a Ten+DoctorDonna[2] reprise.

I can imagine love and hate for any combination of these individuals[3]. While the promised Tegan/Ace appearance in the Thirteen/Fourteen transition episode is probably more a matter of huge love[4] from some or else 'meh' from others.

Confusingly, it seems like there also may be a 'Rose' character in the forthcoming series. But not that Rose. (I wonder if Ten might allude to avoiding the One Steve Limit? Obviously it's happened before, but it might be more pointed and deliberate given those involved.)

What is a shame is that such a high proportion of new-era (especially recent new-era) episodes are Specials that have to try to prove things. It's virtually expected that there's a Christmas Episode every year (or New Year one, if not) and one can't begrudge a "decades of" marker special, but the 'regular' weekly series runs (a la classic-bit-of-Classic-era; and early Rebot-era, including much of Tennant's tenure as Ten) has been somewhat sparse from the lack of either writing, willfulness or budget to make a decent spread of semi-linked serials that may or may not culminate in a grand finale that brings various planted threads together. Instead it's been pushed towards singular standalone 'spectaculars' in one, two or perhaps three parts (like I said I think the latest Sea-Devil episode was originally written as) and not much more.

[1] From memory, we've had at least two 2-Doctor mashups (not counting regenerations/Valeyards/visual flashbacks, one "dummy" incarnation (Jackson Lake), any involvement of the Fugitive Doctor and odd preincarnations like Capaldi's Lucius Caecilius[1.2] and C.Baker (Six) being Commander Maxil in a Five story), two different 3-Doctor ones (old era, new era), the classic Five Doctors (albeit one was left trapped in Shada footage/vortex thingy because of availability) and and the mini-parody Five(ish) Doctors (a core of three, an apologetic one, etc, in cameo form). Plus the new era 3-Doctor might be even considered a 13-Doctor (or 14-Doctor, if the Curator is indeed The Doctor but not actually classic-Four).

[1.2] Explained similarly to Romana Two choosing to look like a past storyline-acquaintence for (sub)conscious reasons. Though in Classic-series canon it was only Timeladies who could 'try on' regenerations and choose (male Timelords were subject to more chance and had stick with them), which seems at odds with Reboot-canon, especially as there is clearly no distinction between them anyway!

[2] Handwavily not vulnerable to the dangerous memories again/temporarily. I bet Davies can get the right story to spin whatever yarn is necessary to get past such a canonistic issue.

[3] Muted/outvoted with Tennant, perhaps, if you don't hate him for not being Eccleston, or are too young to have known his era, you probably appreciated his tenure. I was not a fan of early Tate myself but she grew on me a little; clearly somewhat overwhelming a character, however, doubtless making her a bit Marmite-like. Davis might be considered either as the reboot-showrunner that made the series what it is/became (for good or ill) or remembered more for his other projects (for good or ill!) so I imagine some will cheer and others will boo.

[4] Remembering the thoughts about how it was generally thought a shame that the Sarah Jane Adventures didn't quite get to present Ace's grown-up self, before the unfortunate Actor Existence Failure that forces an end to the series.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2022, 01:23:00 pm »

Oh boy I would not have wanted to be a DW fan but not a Catherine Tate fan. I was fortunate, loved her show before DW. Is there anyone who likes DW but hates DT's doctor? I reckon if you did a poll of who's the best doctor he'd win most of the votes

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2022, 03:31:54 pm »

For my opinion: I did not go out of my way to see Catherine Tate's character show, when she first appeared on the scene. Versatile and imaginative, but I'm not a big fan of that kind of thing, however impressive.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...but am I bovvered???

And I agree that Tennant would (and does!) feature high in polled popularity[1]. But I was accounting for your favourite being Eccleston, which in some cases might mean a dislike of the usurper to the role. It was mostly Tate and Russell T. who I was ascribing as potential marmite-figures, and merely suggesting that Ten might not necessarily be pure ambrosia for everyone.

[1] Yeah, probably my favourite in Reboot, but had a good long run to stretch himself out and with enough character arc to not go stale. Similarly T.Baker might shine in Classic, for those mostly remembering (or specifically being asked to consider) his dominant stint in that era. But my ranking the whole lot of them (especially across serieses) depends a lot on which way the wind is blowing. I could as easily say Pertwee was 'my' Doctor, and yet I also 'got' McCoy and thought he should have been given more. I wouldn't say no to another reappearance of McGann even, to give him a chance. Plus it would have been interesting to see his fellow Withnaillian become the TV Ninth Doctor, too, not just the Shalka version (and of course the Curse Of Fatal Death run into Ten) but then you'd have never gotten your Eccleston... ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 03:35:53 pm by Starver »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2022, 07:33:43 pm »

Now, what I'd REALLY like to see is Eccleston coming back in a special.  I think it happened...once maybe?
Yeah, I remember.  It was basically a Cameo.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2022, 06:58:59 am »

For my opinion: I did not go out of my way to see Catherine Tate's character show, when she first appeared on the scene. Versatile and imaginative, but I'm not a big fan of that kind of thing, however impressive.
Don't care if you're a space alien, face aint bovered tho

I liked her posh people character more than am I bovered girl

Also not so fond of the much-vaunted Little Britain, with two of them (and led to Nardole, who is basically Lucas's baseline character back to Shooting Stars, but with a fancy backstory).
I put little britain in the same sort of cart as Borat. Absolutely brilliant when it came out, a work of genius, but you couldn't play it in every age and get the same laughs

And I agree that Tennant would (and does!) feature high in polled popularity[1]. But I was accounting for your favourite being Eccleston, which in some cases might mean a dislike of the usurper to the role. It was mostly Tate and Russell T. who I was ascribing as potential marmite-figures, and merely suggesting that Ten might not necessarily be pure ambrosia for everyone.
It's kinda funny you mention that because David Tenant also acted as several usurpers in some Shakespeare productions. If you're gonna get usurped, there's few better qualified than David Tenant. I think Doc #10 still managed to pull off the dichotomy best between "let's go on a jolly adventure!" and the face the doctors make whenever the universe turns out to be darker and more disappointing than he hoped. That "I'm not just angry, I'm also disappointed, that every point of time and space is like this." Followed by the manic drive to save people - because if the doctor isn't manically trying to save everyone, then they're not really the doctor are they?

Also that's probably one of the aspects of the doctor which I find the most alien and cool. They really try to save everyone. Like that one Capaldi episode where the murderous nanobots develop sapience; the moment they become self-aware the Doctor stops trying to destroy them and negotiates peace between the nanobots' victims and the nanobots despite the humans' very valid concerns for revenge. The ayyy lmao doctor even tries make peace with the daleks the few times the daleks seem amenable (Dalek Caan, the last dalek hybrid thing, Dalek Sek's human-dalek hybrids). It's like some paradise lost shit where the doc would pray for the devil as much as for the sinner and the saint

I could as easily say Pertwee was 'my' Doctor, and yet I also 'got' McCoy and thought he should have been given more. I wouldn't say no to another reappearance of McGann even, to give him a chance. Plus it would have been interesting to see his fellow Withnaillian become the TV Ninth Doctor, too, not just the Shalka version (and of course the Curse Of Fatal Death run into Ten) but then you'd have never gotten your Eccleston... ;)
I'd say Ecclestone gave as good as it got for a 1 season run, and at least the 1 season run clued the new audiences in that regeneration was a thing to expect

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2022, 02:16:10 pm »

I've not experienced as much of Ten's shakespearian forays as I could have (I've still got his recent Radio 4 version of the Scottish Play sitting pending on one of my audio drives, pending time to appreciate it).  I do rate him highly in everything I've seen him in, but I've not exactly seen everything (I hear the Broadchurches are good, for example, but never watched them).

But I had the pleasure of watching The Master, Bergerac and Susan Sto Helit (amongst others) perform The Danish Play live on stage... If I hadn't been the driver for other people, I might well have tried camping out at the stage-door with a virgin autograph book and cover several fandoms at once... ;)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2022, 08:18:29 pm »

Dr Pepper > Dr Who

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2022, 01:46:28 am »

Dr Pepper > Dr Who
That's a bit unfair on Peter Cushing, but I do quite like the fizzy drink myself so. Yeah, go on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 09:25:42 am »

I've not experienced as much of Ten's shakespearian forays as I could have (I've still got his recent Radio 4 version of the Scottish Play sitting pending on one of my audio drives, pending time to appreciate it).  I do rate him highly in everything I've seen him in, but I've not exactly seen everything (I hear the Broadchurches are good, for example, but never watched them).
I met the woman who wrote broadchurch once! She mused on the differences between what authors intended and what audiences saw. Like one where people were deeply analysing the meaning of a clock stopping. Perhaps it was metaphorical - that all time seemed to stop. Perhaps this was a clue that the killer had cut the power at that time. Her intention was just to show the audience what time it was

But I had the pleasure of watching The Master, Bergerac and Susan Sto Helit (amongst others) perform The Danish Play live on stage... If I hadn't been the driver for other people, I might well have tried camping out at the stage-door with a virgin autograph book and cover several fandoms at once... ;)
Sign everything

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 10:23:02 am »

I haven't been able to enjoy Dr. Who since the late 70s BBC version with Tom Baker.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3]