Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ostriches don't like cut trees?  (Read 735 times)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ostriches don't like cut trees?
« on: July 05, 2022, 05:48:37 am »

In one of the latest dev logs Toady mentioned an ostrich invasion triggered by cutting too many trees by your dwarves.
What if the game has another type of invasions: crop invasion. It's similar to all other invasions but enemy's is goal is to eat up your growing crops.
Those invasions can be both above and below ground.
Also that would probably solve the problem that a whole bunch of dwarves can be fed with really small farms.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ostriches don't like cut trees?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 06:57:58 am »

In one of the latest dev logs Toady mentioned an ostrich invasion triggered by cutting too many trees by your dwarves.
Not sure which one you're talking about unless its not refreshing fast enough for me here, but he did talk a bit about irritation yeah here and there. Maybe the transcript with scamps? I can't remember.

What if the game has another type of invasions: crop invasion. It's similar to all other invasions but enemy's is goal is to eat up your growing crops.
Those invasions can be both above and below ground.
Also that would probably solve the problem that a whole bunch of dwarves can be fed with really small farms.

Birds aren't granivorous in-game but it could be a good pre-empt to changing them towards that way if ostritches did have the crop harrassment mechanic tied into their irritation behaviour. Maybe similar to [HABIT] for night-creatures which seems to go well for bonemeal grinding.
  • In 34 etc versions, carnivorous animal people like hyenamen did have a little bit of fluffcode that made them predate your sheep if you settled close enough to them.
I mean saying it out loud it feels silly that a creature that lives mostly on plains would care about trees without a given purpose or that players who play on the flattest terrain possible in deserts would never know the irritation mechanic so it'd be nice to understand the system a bit more or have a consistency so wildlife isn't purely antagonistic.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 06:59:51 am by FantasticDorf »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ostriches don't like cut trees?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 05:08:48 pm »

It was 06/03/2022 log post. As for crop eating we already have thieves that come only if you have something to steal.  This exact behaviour i believe can be used to attack crops