Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer long updates or short updates?

Long updates!
- 1 (50%)
Short updates!
- 0 (0%)
Don't care; just give me hot ship-on-ship action.
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Ships and the Stars  (Read 6395 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: The Ships and the Stars
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2022, 07:25:53 pm »

Aftermath:

The system was deathly silent. On one end, there was the attacking fleet - pirate colours, and looking the worse for wear. On the other side, the disabled patrol ship, the four destroyers nuzzling the docks, the station itself - hulls all gleaming in the light.

Cressida was the worst off, but most of them had suffered some form of damage. 'Cressy' would need to be towed back to dock and worked on for months - most of her machinery was gone, and there were two giant holes in her hull. The rest had comparatively minor damage - a few weeks in shipyard at most. Hades and Persephone had found that their parasites fell victim to some kind of rapid-firing gun and small, agile missiles, and the picket ships and interceptors saw little use.

The Commander was worried - this, from two patrol ships? A human patrol ship wouldn't even be able to put up a fight against a fleet of this size.

The patrol ship, meanwhile - she refused to give her name - was floating adrift. She seemed to still be mostly intact, but something prevented her from coming up to speed: likely a lucky hit on her machinery spaces. She remained there, powerless; her missiles had been expended, and nobody dared to get in range of her guns.

The prize, by contrast, was almost enough to make the losses worth it. Dauntless had insisted on picking over a list of the spoils (going there herself would have been much too dangerous) and was able to identify many of the parts. Computers, missile reloads, and replacement parts - enough to be able to cobble together some form of rudimentary conversion package for a couple of ships.

There were also four destroyers in the dock; small, but carrying a sizable missile armament. Dauntless recommended caution, saying that while they would likely be a powerful asset, it would be difficult to ensure their loyalty unless the Commander thought of something.

"Commander. After this, they will likely place themselves into higher alert status. Doubled patrols, maybe even a small destroyer. You're also likely to see a retaliatory attack against the Daughters."

"I see. We should lick our wounds for the time being."

The Commander met with the propagandist. He claimed to have drafted a 'masterful' campaign against the Builders, stressing the moral superiority of humans in general and the Triple Colonial Empire of Mars, Terra and Luna in particular against this almost savage foe. He insisted on having the 'war heroes' - ships and sailors alike - pose for glamour photographs and sketches, to assure the populace of the glory of serving in the Colonial Fleet.

Spoiler: Objectives (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 12:23:00 am by Iris »
    Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
    I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
    Rewind, can't keep going
    My mind keeps replaying
    That night when we dove in
    But now I'm sinking

Sanyachan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: February 20, 2022, 11:06:14 am »

that was relateively successful, I think.

>Inquire if it is possible to capture the mothballed destroyers. Also would be nice to get some usefullness out of that disabled ship.

>propaganda ideas seem nice

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • Soothly we live in mighty years!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: February 25, 2022, 02:05:13 am »

Right then, that went ok. I'm content to let the propagandist do his thing for the time being - we should check up on him in the coming weeks, maybe.

For the time being, those destroyers are prisoners of war. Once we know they're not going to fly off or anything, explain the situation to them: we're at war with their polity, we're willing to take on defectors, we can't trust their loyalty just yet. Be gentle-but-firm, and vague about who we are and what we represent. Repossess their ammo/missile banks while we're at it.

First order of business after that, we need to get everything useful 'cept the destroyers off-system ASAP. Leave behind a skeleton crew, with just enough firepower to gut the destroyers and run if the Builders return with reinforcements. Once our new materials are out of the way, we can start thinking about retrofits.

...are there any dead Builders on-site? Might be helpful to inspect a few corpses, if so - partly for biological insight, partly so the propaganda people know what to put on their posters.

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
    tormenting the player is important
    Sigtext

Iris

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: February 27, 2022, 07:35:24 pm »

"Can the destroyers be used?"

"You would need to bring them out of mothballs. They're designed to be easy to reactivate, and you captured enough parts to do the job. You may wish to pass on crewing them, since I doubt you have the capacity to train them."

"What about the destroyers themselves?"

"That, Commander, is entirely dependant on your communcation skills. You'll do fine."

There was a small smirk on the missile battleship's visage.

The Commander thought to himself, before deciding to let the Propagandist take care of his own for the time being. He would check in later. The Commander also gave the order to evacuate the system, save for Cassandra and her crew - who had more than enough firepower to ruin the mothballed destroyers.

While the destroyers were unconcious for the time being, this was not guarenteed - Genevieve had told the Commander of horror stories of ships waking up during mothballs, being unable to move - it was comparable to sleep paralysis in humans.

Nevertheless, he gave the order to remove what little armament remained in their stores, although none of them were ready to fire.

One of the ships shuddered.

"W-w-w-w-w-what is this. What is this? Why are you here? Where is my crew?! Release me!"

Cassandra gave a small gasp. She wasn't expecting this.

""You're, ah, a prisoner of war. We found you in mothballs."

"Traitors, the lot of them. Traitors! I'll... I'll..."

The destroyer went quiet.

"I'm so afraid..."
    Rewind, can't keep going
    My mind keeps replaying
    But now I'm sinking

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: February 28, 2022, 07:58:21 am »

Ptw
    Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
    Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: March 22, 2022, 11:03:11 pm »

(Just a short little update to get back into the swing of things. Builder corpses will come later - for now, you have a very irate destroyer to deal with.)

"What was that?"

"I said nothing, small destroyer. Now, unhand me!"

"Really? 'Cause I could have sworn that -"

The hull gave another shudder, harder this time.

"Enough of this! I demand to speak to your commander."

Cassandra was taken aback by this.

"I can, uh, patch you through?"

"Then do so. At once!"

The Commander was sitting in his study - larger than his office, with walls of dark oak and ceilings of gunmetal, it was one of several rooms in his suite primarily for the entertaining of political guests even though he did do some reading in it - when the less-than-pleased destroyer was sent through.

"I demand to know the meaning of this!"

Rewind, can't keep going
    My mind keeps replaying
    But now I'm sinking

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • The dark Knight of Eternity
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: March 24, 2022, 01:46:36 pm »

we laugh.  hard
    We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
    • hello
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: March 24, 2022, 04:48:49 pm »

that would get some intimidation in, probably.

...why do Builder ship avatars look like humans? At least I assume they do because they haven't been described otherwise.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: March 25, 2022, 06:14:49 pm »

Good question! You'll have to figure that one out yourself. Hehehe~
    Rewind, can't keep going
    My mind keeps replaying
    But now I'm sinking

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]