Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labour ratio?  (Read 1674 times)

Jordy_McCroquettes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Labour ratio?
« on: February 26, 2022, 08:22:42 pm »

I'll admit it right away: I'm asking the question for a story of mine, rather than as real advice (I'm an old school DF player), but seeing how society in Fortress mode is currently a functional (For what it's worth...) money-less society (And let's not mention the story I'm writing being very similar to that of a fort in similar conditions), it got me wondering on the economics of the things for said story, leading to this question:

What's your ratio of workers for each job or category of jobs (I use the later when I personally play; If you can cut trees you can make beds damnit!)? Let's imagine a 160-300 strong Fortress.

We naturally also have to assume the economy in my story is directed by a godlike entity who likes to make stupid bullshit who itself leads suicidal people with no common sense, but that's another matter entirely...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Labour ratio?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 09:00:23 pm »

In a typical game nowadays, at 200 dwarves I might have 10 full time miners who also do masonry and engraving, but no hauling, another 10 masons and engravers, 5 or 6 woodworkers who do all wood related crafts and burning and maybe part time furnace operating, 5 or 6 animal trainers/caretakers, the most skilled 2-3 trainers would have no other labors besides training and leading crossbow squads and maybe butchery, tanning and leatherworking, so they get lots of time off or to train any animal that needs it. 1 or 2 full time doctors with nothing else besides bone carving, 3 or 4 nurses who have hauling and a craft labor, 10 to 20 smiths who also do furnace operating and the worst skilled ones would rotate in militia squads The rest would be crafters and farmers who also serve in rotating militia squads, but all the farmers would have one or two craft labors. I don't and never have had dedicated haulers, only a few critical dwarves (doctors and a few animal trainers and the best smiths, typically) and miners get hauling duties disabled. Everyone pulls levers, which I try to keep as close to the meeting halls as possible so some idling dwarf gets the job.

The idea is they all need things to occupy them besides busy work. Crafts so they can enjoy being creative, and military service so they can fight/train. But also breaks. Nobody needs every labor enabled all the time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jordy_McCroquettes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Labour ratio?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 09:25:20 pm »

In a typical game nowadays, at 200 dwarves I might have 10 full time miners who also do masonry and engraving, but no hauling, another 10 masons and engravers, 5 or 6 woodworkers who do all wood related crafts and burning and maybe part time furnace operating, 5 or 6 animal trainers/caretakers, the most skilled 2-3 trainers would have no other labors besides training and leading crossbow squads and maybe butchery, tanning and leatherworking, so they get lots of time off or to train any animal that needs it. 1 or 2 full time doctors with nothing else besides bone carving, 3 or 4 nurses who have hauling and a craft labor, 10 to 20 smiths who also do furnace operating and the worst skilled ones would rotate in militia squads The rest would be crafters and farmers who also serve in rotating militia squads, but all the farmers would have one or two craft labors. I don't and never have had dedicated haulers, only a few critical dwarves (doctors and a few animal trainers and the best smiths, typically) and miners get hauling duties disabled. Everyone pulls levers, which I try to keep as close to the meeting halls as possible so some idling dwarf gets the job.

The idea is they all need things to occupy them besides busy work. Crafts so they can enjoy being creative, and military service so they can fight/train. But also breaks. Nobody needs every labor enabled all the time.

Those numbers are extremely helpful. Thanks dude!