Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends mode shouldn't be a separate mode you have to retire/abandon fortress to  (Read 1195 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel

...view.
Instead an ability to go into legends viewer should be in both Fortress and Adventure modes, similar to how you access the help screen or the announcements/reports.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

I agree with this. If viewing Legends from Fortress or Adventure mode isn't possible though, make so that at least you can exit your current game and still access Legends Mode, while not having to retire/abandon. Then after you're done, simply go back into your saved-game from there.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except that could reveal things happening out in the world that may affect your fortress later, such as places sending armies. So it would hav to be limited to events prior to starting the current game, which is easily achieved by just copying the save before starting a game in that world.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

Except that could reveal things happening out in the world that may affect your fortress later, such as places sending armies. So it would hav to be limited to events prior to starting the current game, which is easily achieved by just copying the save before starting a game in that world.

How many such things get revealed in News And Rumors?  For one, it shows marching armies and sieges.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If, as I have, you set d_init items as follows:
[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
[INITIAL_SAVE:YES]

(...or a meaningful variation on this set, but that's how I invariably have these configured...)
...then you should have what you need without too much fuss, at least for Fortresses, without doing the (trivial) manual world-directory copying.

Although I often do that too (a side effect of backup seasonal saves, which means I tend to stuff in a .zip once they're superceded by at least an in-game year's additional play, just to neaten things) including doing a post-worldgen manual copy of the unplayed savedir so I can consider playing (unconnected, but sharing the 'history') multiple versions of a worldgen, including an Adventurer embark or two alongside the Fortress(es) I tend to waste most of my time on.

If I was more inclined to check Legends info (very interesting, as is the way the Steam-release is apparently to present this info, afresh), naturally I would just pick up my habitual copy of the save for legends-viewing.

It would break the fourth wall though. Learning things that your Adventurer has to work at to learn 'naturally', even if that's just happening to talk with the right people. Not really an issue, given there's no such thing as cheating, as long as you realise that any such easements (and additional personal-challenge restrictions) are just how you play your game. My own practice (for which I might make use of the multitudinous backups) is a hair-breadth away from save-scumming, though it's mostly that I mighf take the (further manual copy I make as needed of any) backup copies 'for a ride', to retrospectively try some throwaway replay, but once I've done that I generally mothball the rerun-save and return to the Prime copy without the mini-megaproject/whatever, or any in-game experience of swimming down a river to the ocean 'just for fun'.

But I can see why there might be good reason for limited (to Tarn's general gameplay focus) extra info more easily grabbed without any of the above. As mentioned, it seems the Steam-release might be giving you an expansion on the current infograb opportunities, already, presumably with these written-in limitations. But also there's no reason to believe that whatever purpose you might currently to scum for (or how you prepare for the possibility) could be more restricted in future.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about the ability to access an individual unit’s knowledge via the thoughts and preferences screen?  Of course, certain information would be hidden until/unless they admitted it during official questioning before the captain of the guard (or sheriff).  Possibly also limiting it so that the only information available from units you don’t control would be that which was forced out via official questioning (plus maybe what they yakked about to a unit you do control).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.