Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile Setting to Clear/Dump Unwanted Items  (Read 561 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Stockpile Setting to Clear/Dump Unwanted Items
« on: February 13, 2022, 06:37:08 am »

(related suggestions: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178310)

The problem:  Stockpiles are often assigned over rubble and rocks, logs, or other debris.  These take up space in the stockpile until they get hauled to another stockpile or job, or manually dumped.  Relatedly, changing stockpile settings does not remove previously stored items, which leads to the same problem.

(Example from the Kitfox Discord:  "I had the stockpile set wrong at the start, so when I reset it, there was no place to move to sand bag ans gypsum, because I don't have a stockpile for them. So everything just sat. I made a new stockpile and voila, empty bags.")

The suggestion:  Add an option to the stockpile settings.  When enabled, only allow items that are explicitly permitted by the settings, contain a permitted item, or are assigned to the stockpile (empty containers, wheelbarrows).  All other items on the stockpile (and if necessary, their containers) receive a job to get dropped at a nearby (non-stockpile) tile.

Test cases if implemented:
  • Remove / Retain regular items.
  • Remove / Retain containers depending on their contents.
  • Keep fluids in their containers.
  • Keep creatures / prisoners in their cages.
  • What if a container has a desired and an undesired item / liquid / creature?
  • What about nested containers (e.g. seed bag barrel in a cage)?
  • Retain desired containers of undesired items by removing the items?