Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guide to (probably) making cool magic systems  (Read 4852 times)

leoniswulf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to (probably) making cool magic systems
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 09:14:42 am »

I've got a bit of a question about an idea I've had for a while that I think falls under this topic well enough. Mostly about whether it's possible to do or not. So my idea is for either a world or area resource (let's call it mana) such that it gradually builds over time. As it builds it causes creatures to change becoming more dangerous and dropping the amount of mana in the area. furthermore the mana can be used by the dwarves to enhance/enchanting weapons,armor and even create special materials via workshops to reduce the overall mana level. Another thing the mana can cause is biome changes such as from desert to jungle to savage to evil. Mostly though my question breaks down to is an environmental resource such as mana possible?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 11:55:48 am »

I've got a bit of a question about an idea I've had for a while that I think falls under this topic well enough. Mostly about whether it's possible to do or not. So my idea is for either a world or area resource (let's call it mana) such that it gradually builds over time. As it builds it causes creatures to change becoming more dangerous and dropping the amount of mana in the area. furthermore the mana can be used by the dwarves to enhance/enchanting weapons,armor and even create special materials via workshops to reduce the overall mana level. Another thing the mana can cause is biome changes such as from desert to jungle to savage to evil. Mostly though my question breaks down to is an environmental resource such as mana possible?

No.

Dylan Ail Don

• Bay Watcher
  • Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 04:01:00 pm »

Only with DFHack. However I don't think you can edit the biome of a loaded map; the Biome Manipulator only works during worldgen and pre-embark.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2022, 07:33:51 pm »

You could half ass hack it. Those are always the most fun projects. It's how I came to use reactions to make food stuffs to "teach" spells because I couldn't access slabs and books from secret keepers reliably, and use an on-self interaction to trigger "racial" or "native" abilities in creatures without modifying creatures or adding castes.

For your instance, the biome change would be impossible. However, you can make a regional interaction that causes a small chance of creatures affected gaining new abilities, or becoming CRAZED, or transforming into other creatures. One ability could be spontaneously creating an item players can use in reactions to produce special things.

The "mana" would only exist as these items created during play, and otherwise can't be tracked or simulated in any way. However, different regions could have different interactions providing different forms of mana and abilities.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

leoniswulf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 10:45:00 am »

Only with DFHack. However I don't think you can edit the biome of a loaded map; the Biome Manipulator only works during worldgen and pre-embark.

That's a shame but I'm more interested in there being a method of tracking the specific resource, it's ability to increase/decrease naturally over time as well as via manipulation and especially it's ability to cause difficulty while being usefull.

You could half ass hack it. Those are always the most fun projects. It's how I came to use reactions to make food stuffs to "teach" spells because I couldn't access slabs and books from secret keepers reliably, and use an on-self interaction to trigger "racial" or "native" abilities in creatures without modifying creatures or adding castes.

For your instance, the biome change would be impossible. However, you can make a regional interaction that causes a small chance of creatures affected gaining new abilities, or becoming CRAZED, or transforming into other creatures. One ability could be spontaneously creating an item players can use in reactions to produce special things.

The "mana" would only exist as these items created during play, and otherwise can't be tracked or simulated in any way. However, different regions could have different interactions providing different forms of mana and abilities.

Workarounds are always a good method XD. Hmm could use a "mana tree" as a workaround maybe. Could have them cause the syndroms and transformations and would simplify the collection of mana via reactions. 
Pages: 1 [2]