Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with Aquifers  (Read 1950 times)

Xenophilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun with Aquifers
« on: February 07, 2022, 04:36:09 pm »

So you have found the perfect embark but it has one of those pesky aquifers? Fret not, breaking through is way easier than you think and then the aquifer is actually quite useful.

The premise for the below methods is always, that we want to get a single stair through the aquifer as quick as possible. Then it's easy to dig larger openings (or even mine out the entire aquifer layer) from below. These methods are probably not new, but I have not seen them mentioned anywhere so here goes.

Getting through aquifers, located exclusively in the soil layers is easy (just look at the first few steps of the below methods) so we will deal with deep aquifers extending into the stone layers.

If done correctly, all three methods should be 100% safe for the miner -- doing everything correctly on the first attempt is probably hard though.

Some general remarks:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Method I

This method ist the most versatile and the quickest way to break through an aquifer that I know of. You will need a pump, a pick and two beards and since a pump can be produced from the embark wagon wood, this should be possible in almost all cases.

Though getting through the soil layers using only the pump is possible, it's much easier to do by cave-in.
While the components for a pump are being produced, you can prepare the ground above the aquifer. When ready, the pump is assembled (here pumping from the west).

Once the pump is activated, the up-down-stair can be extended two levels down. Then the pump can be disassembled. Meanwhile you prepare the landing site for a plug on Z2. It is important, that the outer ring on Z2 are up-stairs since we will dig under them. It is equally important, that the other tiles are down-stairs since up-stairs are, unlike ramps, not crushed under a cave-in.

If you use a different layout, make sure that the pump components are safely out of the cave-in area. Then the plug is dug out, removing the last tile safely from a diagonal.

The plug is just large enough to place the pump inside and prepare an access to Z3. Don't replace the up-stair with an up-down-stair, since you will need a floor there later.

The down-stair on Z3 can be dug from the level above, even though the tile is flooded and it allows us to know wether there is another aquifer layer beneath. After the pump is activated, you can start smoothing the accessible tiles on Z3 and dig a new drain on Z4.

When the drain is done, the pump can be disassambled again and the up-down-stair can be connected to a down-stair on Z2.

Now prepare the space for the next pump. The channeling will take a while since the miner is being pushed around a fair bit but it will get done eventually. It might help to have an agile (and strong?) miner here.

Once this is done, remove the up-stair, construct the pump again and channel its intake tile.

And that's it essentially. You can continue like that, alternating between NS and EW direction for the pump, until reaching the last aquifer layer. Don't dig any stairs further down before all the tiles have been smoothed.

How long the process takes varies quite a bit, probably due to all the being pushed around by water.
On my test embark, I broke through on the 20th of Slate before the miner got hungry for the first time.

Further remarks:

Method II

For this method, you don't need anything but a miner with a pick and freezing weather.

Channel five tiles on the surface as shown in the image. All except the channel in the north-western corner can be extended right into the first aquifer layer. The channels can be floored over immediately.

Dig a stair in the center of the frozen tiles, then channel the ice on Z1 and then again on Z0.

This will create ice walls on Z1 and Z2. Dig a stair through the center again extending it into Z3 to make a drain.

Now on Z2 dig a ring of stairs with drains underneath.

When the ring is complete, extend the stairs to Z1 and channel the remaining aquifer tiles inside of the ring from Z1.

Now you can channel the ice walls as well as the tile to the north-west of the central stair all the way down to Z2. Z3 should then look like this.

There is still water trapped in the center. Just keep channeling the same ice tiles on Z2 until it spreads sufficiently to allow the miner to stand on the stair. Then extend the central stair to Z4. When this is done, dig out the NE and SW corner tiles and smoothe some tiles.

With Z3 dry, channel out the ice tiles again and repeat the process until you hit dry stone (then don't dig into the corners obviously).

On my test embark I broke through on the 3rd of Felsite, but the miner fell asleep immediately before finishing so it can likely be done quicker.

Further remarks:

Method II

This method needs nothing except a pick and a dwarf to wield it. Since you can use the wagon wood to construct a pump, it should rarely, if ever, be necessary to resort to it. Situations in which you might include:

• you needed some wood to ensure survival early on
  • you needed some wood to make the pick
  • your embark wagon is the center of a zombie apocalypse
  • you are (by choice or otherwise) playing a hermit challenge
  • any combination of the above

As a first step, you need to get into the first aquifer layer using a cave-in (of course you could also use a pump, but if you have a pump, why are you doing this in the first place.). In a fashion similar to the beginning of method I, prepare the landing site for a larger plug.

Notice the single unbroken tile on Z2. To the west,you can see the initial plug, except you can't see it due to the soil-transforms-during-cave-in bug. Now prepare the plug, cutting out a smaller, inner plug for later use.  The inner plug is suspended by a single remaining tile.

Once the dust settles, dig through the freshly dropped plug, establish a drain underneath and dig a diagonal, cutting away the last aquifer tile inside of the ring and letting the trapped water drain away.

Once that is done, the landing site for the inner plug on Z3 is prepared

and the plug cut loose. The plug is held by a thin strech of floor on the surface. You have to watch your miner closely here, or the dunderhead will carve the ramp from the surface, promptly to be sweapt into the hole by the cave-in dust.

The collapsed floor covered one of the stairs on Z1 so make sure to open that up again before going on. When the water has drained away again, you can dig through the center of the latest plug and again make a drain below. Yet again dig out through a diagonal. Before going on, all reachable tiles are smoothed.

Go on digging on Z3 making drains on Z4 as needed. Take care not to open up several tiles at once and smoothe each tile as soon as it gets exposed. It's also important to separate the various drains as seen in the picture lest the miner get flooded when working on the lower levels.

The northernmost stair extends all the way through the aquifer and will be the access to the pit after the next cave-in. Now channel around the second inner plug and remove the up-stair below.

The second inner plug is now held by the single up-stair and can be dropped by removing it -- again from a diagonal.

Work on Z4 proceeds essentially as on Z3 rotated by 180°.

The northern up-down-stair on Z4 is flooded so before you can dig the drain underneath, some more work needs to be done on Z3.

Finally, dig the missing drain on Z4, channel around the plug again and set of the next cave-in.

From here on, essentially repeat the previous steps.

Of course the process is rather lengthy, but it's not that bad. On my test run, I got through on the 23rd of Hematite. I didn't try particularly hard to optimize anything so i'm sure it can be done in less than a season.

Further Remarks:

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 06:40:13 pm »

Very useful guide. Although, while the OP inexplicably fails to mention it, it should be noted that this is a guide to dealing with the old fashioned Heavy Aquifers that you're never likely to come across unless you really search for them in the latest versions of the game.

Regular aquifers require none of the above, and certainly nothing needs doing "as quickly as possible".

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 10:42:24 pm »

what_year_is_it.tga

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 02:16:01 am »

Yeah, there is the very occasional heavy aquifer in the current game, but even those don't seem to be of the same flow as the old ones. I do miss heavy aquifers, but it does make the game much easier now that aquifers aren't an issue any more.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 07:35:29 am »

I’m glad that it was changed like it was, because now you can look for the challenge and the benefits of conquering it if you want to, but you don’t have to and it doesn’t essentially block off any aquifer-sites that were otherwise good if you didn’t want to follow processes like that described in the OP.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 05:51:49 pm »

what_year_is_it.tga

lol

OP I commend you for the thorough writeup, however as many have said, heavy aquifers have gone the way of deadly carp and alcohol-laden felines.